Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not much work

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a project environment. Some weeks busy, some weeks slow. Sometimes the slow weeks really get to me. Anyone been a similar situation. The company itself is doing really well, making a lot of money. The days can really drag when you aren't busy...

Should I say something or just accept its part of the nature of the work and have more tea breaks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Given the current climate I'd be looking to get involved in something or I try to have something in the background I can do when nothing else is on the daily agenda..
    Definite no to the extra tea breaks :rolleyes: while you being slack in your own workspace may go under the radar, if you're seen to be hogging the coffee machine it could raise questions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have your own project to work away on. Work related.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

madbait wrote: »
    I work in a project environment. Some weeks busy, some weeks slow. Sometimes the slow weeks really get to me. Anyone been a similar situation. The company itself is doing really well, making a lot of money. The days can really drag when you aren't busy...

Should I say something or just accept its part of the nature of the work and have more tea breaks?

It happens, bring a Nintendo DS or PSP to work for those slow days/weeks.
    Keeps the mind active.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

F1ngers wrote: »
    Keeps the mind active.

I'd look at doing some sort of work-related training online than playing computer games at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I think you should think about having a quiet word with your line manager. If you let them know that you find the quiet times frustrating they may come up with something you could work on or even suggest some additional training courses which could be taken up between projects. This will serve both you & the company - it's a win-win.

My own position can be like this at times, or rather it used to be before I brought it to my managers attention :D,

Best of luck OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The courses sounds like a good idea and will put you in good stead for any promotion ( or retention...) that arises.

Make sure everything is taken care of and look for work outside your immediate area and duties. Since there are quiet times you can do the work slowly and methodically and learn more as you do. A lot of busy people find they cannot learn new stuff at work because they are too busy keeping up and cannot learn the background theory behind what they do.

A large dose of realism is needed here, there is no use annoying other colleagues if you do double the work they do, try and find out what the normal rates are in your field and go a little beyond them. On the other hand too much caution with increasing the workrate will annoy the boss.......

This is where courses are magic, they give you new skills and something to do at a rate that suits you and nobody can get annoyed with it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

F1ngers wrote: »
    Keeps the mind active.

:eek::eek:
    Seriously ?
    I'd be giving a written warning to an employee playing a games consul on company time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bbam wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    Seriously ?
    I'd be giving a written warning to an employee playing a games consul on company time..

While personally I wouldn't be a fan of games in the workplace. But I've see many companies allow games on their network at lunchtime, or if working late. Within strict guidelines. Kept the techies happy, and got a lot of overtime out of them for free. Often when they ban it those same people become clock watchers and out the door as fast as they can. Depends on the business though, but its usually not appropriate at all.

But you'd be mad not to use the time to improve your skillset.

Advertisement