Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour-ringed Birds

Options
  • 12-04-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Came across a colour-ringed Brent Goose at Portmarnock recently and a Great Black-backed Gull juvenile (I think) at Clogherhead. Trouble is, I don't know to whom I send the reports. Can anyone guide me, please?

Brent Goose, Portmarnock, Co Dublin, 8/4/2011:
    Right leg, white ring, letter S; left leg, red ring, letter U.
    155019.jpg

Juvenile Great Black-backed Gull (?), Clogherhead Harbour, Co Louth, 9/4/2011:
    Blue ring, left leg, 2LK.
    155020.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Moved from Meath forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Hi Seasoft. You can report the Brent Goose to grahammcelwaine@btinternet.com

More info on colour ringed Brent Geese here: http://www.irishbrentgoose.org/

That particular goose SUWR was ringed in Iceland in May 2010. I have seen her twice in Malahide Estuary this year and she was in Strangford Lough back in October. If you email Graham your report, he will send you back a full history for that bird.

Colour ring reading can be addictive, be warned! ;)

I'll find out where to report the gull and post contact details ASAP, it looks interesting.

The gull can be reported to gulls@eircom.net

There is some info at www.dublinbirding.ie if you click on Appeals on the left side of your screen and then scroll to the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Here's another Juv Gull at Howth, Co. Dublin 30/03/2011.

img4656z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/TracingGullswithColouredRings/tabid/481/Default.aspx

Generally, best to report any rings to the BTO/Birdwatch Ireland. They'll always make sure info gets passed on.

• Advertisement

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/TracingGullswithColouredRings/tabid/481/Default.aspx

Generally, best to report any rings to the BTO/Birdwatch Ireland. They'll always make sure info gets passed on.

Be aware that the BTO has a huge backlog of ring readings to deal with. You can be waiting up to 9 months for feedback! If you can report direct to the relevant research group you will get the feedback a lot quicker. I reported 7 colour ringed black-tailed godwits in the last week and have received feedback for all of them already - from Iceland. But do cc the BTO anyway, for their records.

I should add, always report numbers on metal rings to the BTO. Colour rings are used by lots of different researchers, but the metal ones are controlled by the BTO here and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Thanks for advice from all of you. Will email info now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Colour rings are used by lots of different researchers, but the metal ones are controlled by the BTO here and the UK.

There lies the problem. There are dozens of groups, in many countries, carrying out research using coloured rings and the ordinary punter has no way of knowing who those groups are. The BTO at least can co-ordinate reports and are aware of all projects being conducted. Certainly report to the group concerned if you know it, but if in any doubt contact the BTO.

There lies the problem. There are dozens of groups, in many countries, carrying out research using coloured rings and the ordinary punter has no way of knowing who those groups are. The BTO at least can co-ordinate reports and are aware of all projects being conducted. Certainly report to the group concerned if you know it, but if in any doubt contact the BTO.

And then there's the individual researcher who completes his/her phd and disappears, leaving their colour ringed birds around for years afterwards and no feedback forthcoming to people who report them:mad: All you get is a report that there is no info as the project is finished. Had this problem with ringed common gulls a while back.

Advertisement