Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Nanny. Salmon

Options
  • 11-04-2011 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Was out to look at a job today in Laytown Station. I got a chance to see the inlet to the river Nanny from above.

I seen over 15 large salmon swimming in the waters around the railway bridge trapped in a large pool by the low tide. After talking to workers there I was told they see salmon in the pool inland behind the bridge each day.

I was thinking of going up there with a fly rod. What are the rules as regards to fishing from the beach into the outlet. Would it be considered free as it is on the beach or would a permit be needed?
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716138,771158,7,10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Mullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Was out to look at a job today in Laytown Station. I got a chance to see the inlet to the river Nanny from above.

I seen over 15 large salmon swimming in the waters around the railway bridge trapped in a large pool by the low tide. After talking to workers there I was told they see salmon in the pool inland behind the bridge each day.

I was thinking of going up there with a fly rod. What are the rules as regards to fishing from the beach into the outlet. Would it be considered free as it is on the beach or would a permit be needed?
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,716138,771158,7,10

If you are going to fish for salmon you need to get yourself the state salmon lic.
    I'd love to know how you get on there, let us know if you catch any mullet, it's more than likely this is what you're seeing from the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Octopus wrote: »
    Mullet

Beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

yeah I just googled Mullet and after sorting through 300 haircut images I can see that they look alike from far up.

These fish where rising for flys .

So how the hell do I catch a Mullet(fish)

Should I take a fly rod or spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Hi there, i'm a member of the nanny anglers club.

there's a bit of contention about fishing below the Julianstown bridge with the local land owner but go for it if u want.

above the julianstown bridge u need to join our club which costs 50 euro a year.

we get a few sea trout but a single salmon is very rare.

if you are caught with a sea trout or salmon and don't have a state licence things can get messy and legal.

i reckon what u saw are mullet but no harm in hoping!

• Advertisement

there's a bit of contention about fishing below the Julianstown bridge with the local land owner but go for it if u want.

above the julianstown bridge u need to join our club which costs 50 euro a year.

if you are caught with a sea trout or salmon and don't have a state licence things can get messy and legal.

Dam. So I cant really fish there then can I?

I dont want to break any local fishing rules . I thought so close to the beach was ok :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I'll tell you this. If you pop the hook into a mullet's mouth, you won't have time to worry about it not being a salmon for several minutes of sheer excitement!
    Mullet are amazing fighters, but not great eating, so enjoy the process and return the fish..... if you hook one. They're extremely difficult to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

u can, its shore fishing at laytown, just the inland side of the julianstown bridge is where the club waters begin.

edit: coolwings what bait do u recommend, corn? bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd normally use either bread flake or thin strips of mackerel, but if using mackerel, make sure there's no skin on it as this seems to turn them off.

If they're feeding from the top, I use an unshotted float, mainly to help with the cast & then let the flake float behind it 2 or 3 ft back.

Floating maggots can also work well - just splosh some coke over them & they inhale the gas.....

As for the fly, I read somewhere about a guy in the UK that had made up a 'bread fly' pattern that worked - I'll see if I can dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

A mullet on the fly would be serious fun

• Advertisement

Here ya go - means nothing to me, but probably does to you 'fly boys'

Mullet Bread Fly.

Hook : Kamasan B400 # 14 - 10 Silk : Tan Underbody : plastazote Overbody : Tan fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Andip wrote: »
    I'd normally use either bread flake or thin strips of mackerel, but if using mackerel, make sure there's no skin on it as this seems to turn them off.

If they're feeding from the top, I use an unshotted float, mainly to help with the cast & then let the flake float behind it 2 or 3 ft back.

Floating maggots can also work well - just splosh some coke over them & they inhale the gas.....

As for the fly, I read somewhere about a guy in the UK that had made up a 'bread fly' pattern that worked - I'll see if I can dig it out

Really ? Im going to try that this summer, thanks

stylie wrote: »
    Really ? Im going to try that this summer, thanks

Work well for any fish that will take maggot from the surface - just not to much or they'll drown ! - also keep the lid of the bait box on or they'll escape up the sides......

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

or drogheda and district anglers club

imag0019t.jpg

the ripples in the water are 5 fish trapped today by the low tide. rising for god knows what.

they swam around there all day.

They are so clear to see with the naked eye. the camera phone makes them invisable.

There was also a seal trapped in there all day , so you may have compition if you head there;)

No guarantees. There could be no fish in there for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This is going back a good few years but, there was a club in Jullianstown below the bridge, it was cheap to join but you had to have a local connection, which is fair enough. Above the bridge it was free to fish for about 500m or more - think to the next bridge. Then there were two clubs which shared the waters, Duleek Anaglers and Drogheda District anglers. When did the Nanny Anglers club form?

No Salmon on the nanny but there were small sea trout and borwns.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Andip wrote: »

Mullet on the fly:
    http://www.stsflyfishing.com/cumbrian-fly-fishing-pages/fly-fishing-for-mullet-part1.html

Sounds like fun.

Advertisement