Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID help required

Options
  • 11-04-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

At Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow this morning and need assistance identifying these birds if possible....thanks.

Might be a Warbler..
    img4973g.jpg

img4969.jpg

Might be Linnets..
    img4981n.jpg

img4980n.jpg

img5004f.jpg

I met Éamon de Buitléar as I was starting off on my treck, very pleasent man, had a bit of a chat with him, lucky me..:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Sedge Warbler and Male + Female Linnets for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Hi,
    The bird in the first two pics is a Wren, while the birds perched on the wires and in the grass are Linnets. Nice pics btw.

Kilcoole is a great site, birding there on Sunday produced about 50 species, including Reed Warbler at Ballygannon reed bed (just north of the car park) and Otter in the BWI reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks Cardynal & V Moth, but I think Cardynal gets the cookie prize, found my bird guide book at last, it’s a Sedge Warbler alright and Linnets. First 2 photo's are definitely not a Wren, here’s another photo of the same bird from a slightly different angle.

img4967.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I was thinking possibly a Wren myself except the photos don't show the tail cocked. The last photo looks less like Wren

To me Sedge Warbler has a much more pronounced eye stripe so I don't think it is this either...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

I'm going to agree with V_Moth in that the first two pics are a Wren. It could be the way it's perched that it hasn't got its tail cocked, or it could be just feeling less Wren-like :P

The slight curved beak, wing bars (which as far as I remember the Sedgies don't have?) and the absence of a pronounced eye stripe lean towards Wren for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

V Bull , on closer inspection i think Mabel AND V Moth are right , the absence of the cocked tail made me discount Wren straight away and the red looking gape in the 2nd shot made me think of Sedge but (as they others say )the eye-stripe is too light , may be a bit strange looking but i'd say Wren.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks for all the input, I'll go with the flow as they say. It just puzzled me, didn't sound like a Wren when singing and was quite light in colour and looked to be bigger....A Wren it is then....Thanks again to you all....

Should have gone to specsavers....:)

V Moth....cookie prize on the way..:D

Advertisement