Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowence??

Options
  • 11-04-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey i dont know if this is the right forum for this but i couldnt find anywhere else.

I have a one daughter, i am not married and the dad doesnt pay anything for her. I am still living at home and there are 7 other people in the house as i have 3 sisters and 2 brothers, I share a room with my daughter and sister. I work 12 hrs a week as i also have to look after my child. I get the OPF, but after paying her creche and my parents rent then food, its never enough. I was just wondering if i would be entilted in rent allowence and if so is it just a one bedroomed place.

Any advice would be helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Think you have to apply for council housing first, im sure there is a welfare forum on here somewhere, mods probably better off moving it there and you questions will be better answered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to State Benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Lyndz151 wrote: »
    Hey i dont know if this is the right forum for this but i couldnt find anywhere else.

I have a one daughter, i am not married and the dad doesnt pay anything for her.

Shop him to the social.......

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

well first off you'd have to apply for housing with your local county council. once you have been designated in need of housing apply for rent allowance and see what happens. they may not pay it but they would let you know why you're not entitled. you could move out, you would probably be entitled to rent allowance for a 1 or 2 bed place for yourself and your daughter but they would still expect you to pay some of your own rent, but it could possibly mean you would be better off in general. although theres a lot to be said for living at home if your family helps you out a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you're not already in private rented accommodation, you need to be assessed as in need of housing before you can get rent supplement. In the circumstances that you describe it is likely that you will be assessed, the time it takes will depend on local authority in your area.

Once you have been assessed as in need of housing, then you can get rent supplement. Any extra income from employment that you have may reduce the amount that you get, although with 12 hours employment it might not be much of a reduction as the first 75 of additional income is disregarded, the balance is assessed at 75%.

Advertisement