Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which anti virus

Options
  • 11-04-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I know this question has been asked before but anti virus software changes every year and I was wondering what one I should choose for 2011. I am currently with AVG and this expires in 15 days renewal is €66.95 for 2 PCs for 2 years. Not sure if I am getting value for money or not. Help please.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I know this question has been asked before but anti virus software changes every year and I was wondering what one I should choose for 2011. I am currently with AVG and this expires in 15 days renewal is €66.95 for 2 PCs for 2 years. Not sure if I am getting value for money or not. Help please.:(

Rubbish value for money and a rubbish anti virus, use microsoft security essentials, free and does the job: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials.

Nothing gives you 100% protection but it does a pretty good job. And especially good for free

• Registered Users Posts: 47 waywardchild

I am always wary of freebies and afraid that they will not give you the protection that pay for systems do.

maybe I will give it a go and see how it works
    thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Here is a quick comparison of some of the free anti-viruses:

http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/14151

• Registered Users Posts: 47 waywardchild

thanks very good article:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

i had avast for some time, no problems until the other night, it went beserk, i deleated it and downloaded eod, which told me i had missed 4 microsoft downloads, which was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

flutered wrote: »
    i had avast for some time, no problems until the other night, it went beserk, i deleated it and downloaded eod, which told me i had missed 4 microsoft downloads, which was true.

Funny enough something similar happened to me the other night also with Avast. Thinking now about another one, whats eod like?

sorry it should read est nod32,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Use Linux.

No need for a proper AV then :P

Or try ClamAV + Spybot...

And lock down your bloody windows! (will post info laters)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Hey guys, sorry for hijacking the thread but my subscription with McAfee has run out and was going to download Microsoft Security Essentials instead of having to pay through the nose for something else. Anyhow, my question is, do i have to totally remove McAfee from my system as i've heard that having 2 security systems means they work against themselves in someway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Yes do remove Mcafee first and when you think you've removed Mcafee, use the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool here just to be sure. Then install MSE.

bhickey wrote: »
    Yes do remove Mcafee first and when you think you've removed Mcafee, use the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool here just to be sure. Then install MSE.

it is not easy to get rid of mcafee, major geeks have a removal tool that works, forget about the mcafee one.

Advertisement