Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Crace

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

Around a month ago I was given the novel Quarantine by Jim Crace. I'd never heard of him prior to this. His writing style blew me away. On finishing that book I immediately jumped into Being Dead and from there into The Pest House.

I honestly can't remember the last time I encountered an author who's work has struck me so deeply. It was probably Faulkner nearly 30 years ago.

So, anyone else enjoyed his work? Also, any recommendations as to other authors I might enjoy on the basis of me loving Crace's work? Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I loved Quarantine. I read it a few years ago and it's a book that I still think of every now and again when I'm provoked by some unhinged religionist. A deeply impressive work.

Picked up Being Dead a couple of times in bookshops but never bought it, I think in a way I didn't want the perfection of Quarantine to be sullied if I didn't like something else that Crace had written. Pretty stupid I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

just out the other side of feasting on 5 of his books one after another. I felt like keeping going with the rest of his stuff but decided on taking a break for a bit.

Quarantine and The Pest House were the memorable reads. I can't recommend those two highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I plan on getting The Pesthouse and Being Dead over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I plan on getting The Pesthouse and Being Dead over the next few months.

For whatever reason, Crace seems to have taken a few years out before writing/publishing The Pesthouse and it's obvious that something has changed as soon as you get into the book. It's a very rich and mature work. I wish it had gone on for another 400 pages.

Advertisement