Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Sean O' Rourke?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

He's been missing from the News at 1 for a number of weeks, anyone know what has happened to Sean O' Rourke or is he just on holidays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd say holidays. Pat Kenny was in last Monday then wasn't for the rest of the week and Joe Duffy is also gone missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

He probably has got an extended holiday because he worked an 18 hour shift the day after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

To be fair to Sean O'Rourke he must have been doing some savage hours coming up to the election, what with him being on the News at 1 5 days a week and also on this week in politics.

You'd miss him from teh radio though, he's a brilliant anchor imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I wish RTE would give him the PK show. PK has passed his best-before date imo

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

it never ceases to amaze how many RTE "stars" take their holidays all at the same time, it's like RTE Radio 1.5 kicks in with totally different presenters from the parallel universe to the regular RTE Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Poly wrote: »
    I wish RTE would give him the PK show. PK has passed his best-before date imo

I think PK is still very adept when handling current affairs.

Its his programme that has gone downhill of late due to the top heavy quantity of human interest rubbish, crap music, and Marie Louise O'Dramatic's horseshíte.

I don't know if this dumbing down is due to the presenter, the producers or the bosses in RTÉ, and while I agree that Sean O'Rourke would be excellent at covering the current affairs element of the programme, I doubt he would be too happy discussing cookery techniques, gardening tips and interviewing Billy Bob Balooba the Bluegrass Banjo Boy before playing out with some Bulgarian folk dance.

No, leave O'Rourke where he is. At the best news programme on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lapin wrote: »
    I think PK is still very adept when handling current affairs.

Its his programme that has gone downhill of late due to the top heavy quantity of human interest rubbish, crap music, and Marie Louise O'Dramatic's horseshíte.

I don't know if this dumbing down is due to the presenter, the producers or the bosses in RTÉ, and while I agree that Sean O'Rourke would be excellent at covering the current affairs element of the programme, I doubt he would be too happy discussing cookery techniques, gardening tips and interviewing Billy Bob Balooba the Bluegrass Banjo Boy before playing out with some Bulgarian folk dance.

No, leave O'Rourke where he is. At the best news programme on radio.

Agreed there, horse. Seems like some 'head in RTE decided that to promote locally based musicians and people we have never heard of, would be a good programme idea:eek:

Seems like Pat has to go along with similar crap punters coming in day after day with the same uninspiring material, just to please some dude in leather elbowed tweeds?

The PK show should be two hours of hard hitting current affairs broadcasting, forget the other stuff, plenty of other niche progs. for that.

And get that condescending broadcaster MLOD off the frikken airwaves.

And get that condescending broadcaster MLOD off the frikken airwaves.
    I like her... :o

Kenny when talking about teh affairs that are current is really good radio though, wouldn't move him...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair to Sean O'Rourke he must have been doing some savage hours coming up to the election, what with him being on the News at 1 5 days a week and also on this week in politics.

You'd miss him from teh radio though, he's a brilliant anchor imho.

He's not on the News at 1 today either, I think this would be the third week at least...nice holidays in RTE eh!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Where is Sean indeed? Yes on holidays no doubt, but how many weeks does this man get in the summer ? He hasnt been on air at all in August and for a good part of july, consequently we have had a procession of presenters filling in, Claire Byrne, brian dobson and Robert short to name but three in recent weeks. O'Rourke was paid 214k in 2009, surely its time to put him out to pasture and get more value for money from presenters. Yes the dail is on holidays but the news doesnt stop. Ive been listening to Jonathan Healy doing the lunchtime news programme on newstalk and he would be more than capable of doing the job on rte for a fraction of the 214k O'Rourke is on. My only hope is that as RTE's dinosaurs near retirement age they might choose to enjoy that retirement rather than continue on Larry Gogan style..

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    Where is Sean indeed? Yes on holidays no doubt, but how many weeks does this man get in the summer ? He hasnt been on air at all in August and for a good part of july, consequently we have had a procession of presenters filling in, Claire Byrne, brian dobson and Robert short to name but three in recent weeks. O'Rourke was paid 214k in 2009, surely its time to put him out to pasture and get more value for money from presenters. Yes the dail is on holidays but the news doesnt stop. Ive been listening to Jonathan Healy doing the lunchtime news programme on newstalk and he would be more than capable of doing the job on rte for a fraction of the 214k O'Rourke is on. My only hope is that as RTE's dinosaurs near retirement age they might choose to enjoy that retirement rather than continue on Larry Gogan style..

To be fair he works 6 days a week in winter with the news at one and the week in politics, so maybe this evens it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

dulpit wrote: »

To be fair he works 6 days a week in winter with the news at one and the week in politics, so maybe this evens it out?

I bet he's not doing an 8 hour day though

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

You'd miss him alright. He's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sean O'Rourke back today.

He must have been off for well over a month.

Advertisement