Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 14: Lemon Cheesecake

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

2011 Cooking Club Week 14: Lemon Cheesecake

This recipe is an amalgamation of a recipe off a Weetabix box and a recipe from Home Ec. class years ago. Serves 6-8 (or 2 in my house…). Contains raw egg white. Preparation time: 30 mins. Setting time: 4 hours.

Ingredients:

Base:
    6oz digestive biscuits (13-15 biscuits)
    50g butter, plus a little bit extra to grease the cake tin
    25g brown sugar
    1 tblsp golden syrup

Topping:
    2 egg whites
    150 ml natural yoghurt
    200 ml boiling water
    Pack of Chivers lemon jelly (or whatever flavour you prefer)
    200-225 g cream cheese (ie 1 pack of Philadelphia)

Optional: Chocolate for decoration

Lighter options: Low-fat cream cheese, fat-free natural yoghurt, sugar free jelly and less brown sugar. Top with fruit and it's one of your 5-a-day.

You will also need: Loose bottomed cake tin (9 inches or smaller, any bigger and you’ll have a very thin cheesecake), whisk, a couple of mixing bowls and a measuring jug. Food processor is handy, but not essential.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9221

Base:

Grease the cake tin.
    Put the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a pan over low heat (around gas mark 2) and allow to melt, stir until everything is mixed together.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9222picture.php?albumid=1655&p

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9224

While you wait for the butter/sugar/syrup mixture to melt, break up the digestive biscuits. If you have a food processor, they can be blitzed. If not, just put the biscuits in a plastic sandwich bag and channel your anger. My weapon of choice is a rolling pin.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9223

Stir the biscuit crumbs through the melted-together ingredients. At first it looks like there isn’t enough mixture to coat the biscuits, but keep stirring and it will be fine. Make sure the biscuit is well coated and thoroughly mixed through.

Put the biscuit mixture into the cake tin, and press into the base using the back of a spoon. This might take a bit of patience as the mix is a bit sticky, but again, it will eventually spread out to cover the base. Pressing rather than spreading the mixture usually works a bit better. In the picture below I didn't do a very good job breaking up the biscuits and could probably have done with one or two more to make the mixture drier, but it still tasted good.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9225

Leave the base aside to cool while making the topping.

Topping:

Whisk the egg whites. (The only reason I do this first is because the whisk is still clean so there is no risk of a bit of fat preventing the whites from whisking. If you whisk the egg whites at a later stage, make sure the whisk is clean and free from grease)

Break up the jelly and put it in the 200ml boiling water. Stir really well until the jelly is COMPLETELY dissolved. I’m sure this is obvious to everyone, but if you don’t dissolve the jelly properly you’ll end up with a very runny cheesecake all over the table and a few solid lumps left on the plate. Very embarrassing, so it’s well worth the few minutes stirring to avoid this happening.

Leave the dissolved jelly aside to cool.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9227

Mix the cream cheese and yoghurt together until the mixture is smooth.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9228

Mix the jelly through the cream cheese/yoghurt. It doesn’t matter if the jelly is still slightly warm. I usually stir the jelly through a bit before using the whisk, otherwise it splatters everywhere. It can be helpful to use a fairly big bowl to avoid a mess.

When the jelly is evenly mixed through, fold in the whisked egg whites.
    Again, I usually fold with the spoon and then finish mixing with the whisk. I know this goes against all advice to fold egg whites so they stay light and airy, but I’ve always found the mixture stays light despite whisking. Folding just takes forever and can result in some un-mixed bits of egg white (if you're impatient, like me).

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9229

Pour the mixture on to the base.

Allow to set for approximately four hours in the fridge, or until it wobbles but is firm.

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9231

Slide a knife around the edge of the tin and remove the side. Serve plain or decorate however you like - with shavings of chocolate, cream, mini eggs for Easter, mandarin segments, etc.

Apologies, I didn't get a pretty picture of a slice of it served up because I brought it to someone else's house for dinner. I promise it was lovely, though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one OP. I'll see if Mrs Billy fancies making this for me when I'm home at Easter. (I stick to the savoury dishes & she does the sweets. :))

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love lemon cheese cake but himself is making vomiting sounds here:rolleyes:

so will wait until i have people around to give it ago:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Aw, he doesn't know what he's missing. I have to say I like this one more than a lot of cheesecakes I've had from shops or cafes, think it's a bit lighter or something, so he might get converted yet!

If not, another really nice desert is to make the cheesecake base mixture and serve it crumbled up in a bowl with mixed berries and ice cream or yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Very nice, quite similar to the cheeseless cheesecake I make at home(substitute whipped cream for the cream cheese and flavoured yoghurt)
    Himself loves lemon cheesecake so i may give this one a go for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Made this last night, left it in the fridge overnight and just had a slice for breakfast lunch.

I made mine with a tub each of lemon and vanilla yogurt. I didn't use egg whites at all and I think it worked out OK without them. Oh yeah and the stuff on top that looks like mould is lime zest! :pac:

Anyway, the slice was very nice. A nice, easy cake to make!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9582

• Advertisement

Wow, someone tried my recipe! Thought I was going to get the dud recipe prize for 2011.

It looks very different without the egg whites - it would be over double the height and much lighter and fluffier when they're included- I imagine the texture is fairly dense? It's good to know that it works out ok like that if I ever need to leave eggs out of it.

Glad you liked it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jw297 wrote: »
    Wow, someone tried my recipe! Thought I was going to get the dud recipe prize for 2011.
    Ah this is one I plan to try, it's just that there's been a lot of cake recipes in the last while. A whole cake is a lot for 2 people so I need to space them out a bit. :)

You're pictures also don't show up on the page. As Leonardo Da Vinci once said, "Pictures always help"

Oh, I had no idea the pictures don't show up! They show up for me... any idea what the problem might be? I put them in an album on boards and then put them in the thread from there.

It looks very different without the egg whites - it would be over double the height and much lighter and fluffier when they're included- I imagine the texture is fairly dense? It's good to know that it works out ok like that if I ever need to leave eggs out of it.

Glad you liked it anyway :)
    Oh, I had no idea the pictures don't show up! They show up for me... any idea what the problem might be? I put them in an album on boards and then put them in the thread from there.

Really? They are aren't showing up at all and it doesn't look like there is any invisible code in your text between the paragraphs. You might have incorrectly embedded them and that's why it was edited for spacing, maybe.

I didn't add the egg because I couldn't imagine them retaining any fluffiness when mixed with the liquid. So bring the photos on! :)

Hmm, that's so strange! I put the pictures in an album on boards, and then copied the picture URL and clicked on the little picture icon to insert image, and pasted the URL in there - is that the right way to do it?

I'll try putting in a picture here and see if it works (I can see it anyway!):

picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9221

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can see the pictures just fine.

I completely forgot about this recipe! Times are tough at the moment, but I'll make it once I can afford the ingredients ;).

Faith wrote: »
    I can see the pictures just fine.

The plot thickens!

Is your album private? Maybe only moderators can see the pictures then? Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How do you use the albums?

Or you could just use somewhere like imageshack and save all the hassle :)

Double checked that the album is public, so it's not that. Here is the album, if that's any help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1655#

Sorry I'm not very up to speed with this - I just went by the instructions on boards for including photos. I'm not really sure what to do otherwise, so apologies for a very dull and boring looking recipe!

I logged out and I could still see them. Curiouser and curiouser...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I can't see them and the the link to the album dosen't work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Loopy wrote: »
    I can't see them and the the link to the album dosen't work for me.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I don't think JW baked the cake at all.
    :pac:

Faith wrote: »
    I logged out and I could still see them. Curiouser and curiouser...

OK, figured it out using geek sorcery.

The photos are there, but are invisible:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9221
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9222
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9224
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9223
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9225
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9227
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9228
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9229
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1655&pictureid=9231

You have privacy settings enabled on your album and only moderators will therefore be able to see them. Faith, you can see them while logged out because they are still in your browser cache.

There are two places to set privacy: in the album itself (Edit Album > Album Type: Public or Private) and also in User CP > Profile Privacy > Albums.

Well done, Little Alex! I thought my cache might have contributed to still being able to see them alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement