Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay speakers in a quadrophonic pattern...

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Doing a gig next month in a venue that really needs some delays to carry the sound a lil better. Were gonna rent maybe just two 15" mid/high speakers. Instead of putting them halfway down the room like any normal punter, the lads were asking me to put them in a quadrophonic style form (except the delays will just have the FOH mix in them), as in have the speakers placed in the back corners of the room facing the main pa. I trying to think of what problems this would cause in terms of phase response or Haas effect...

Should it work just setting the delay on the speakers as normal and all as usual? I just have this feeling that it may go completely wrong haha:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Obi-Jim

There is phase cancellation when you do that. usually at the area right in the middle where'd you'd think it'd be loudest. And you can't insert a delay in the line because those speakers will be firing back at the others.
    It's sometimes done for corporate function type gigs, and that's only for the sake of neatness.
    It might seem that you can get more coverage by doing it that way too, but you can't really.

The idea is to make it so everyone has a direct line to one speaker, not as many as possible.

(plus it may perhaps be a little bit strange or annoying for people who may want to have a chat at the back, where it's a bit quieter, but alas everywhere is the same-ish volume, there's nowhere to go but outside)

Advertisement