Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get myself a road bike to travel to work on. I'm not too well up on makes and the likes. Have a mountain bike at the moment that just won't cut it. Will be travelling about 30K a day, which isn't a whole lot I know but it's too short to drive.

I am looking at the following three and wondering is there much of a difference between them. Should I be looking at them at all even?

Thanks for your advice :)

Lapierre Audacio

Giant Defy 4

Cube Aerial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You are probably best trying them out and see which you prefer. Of those the Cube has the best component spec (Sora vs 2300, 9sp vs 8sp) but no carbon fork, which the Lapierre has. Carbon fork adds comfort. Also worth noting the Giant is a compact double (gears at the front) while the other two are triples- there are pros and cons to each. A triple will give more gear range for hills at the expense of slightly worse shifting. The quoted weights are also quite different.

Worth noting that I believe CSS are quite quick to offer discounts if you ask although I am not sure on already discounted bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thanks for the reply.

I think all three are pretty nice bikes and would do the job I want but there are a lot of things listed which I simply don't understand due to lack of knowledge :)

What is a compact double? The Giant has everything (pedals etc etc) and is slightly cheaper than the other two, but I wouldn't mind spending the extra few euro to get a better mike over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Compact double means there are two chainrings up front (34/50) but with a lower (easier)-end than a standard double (39/53.) This makes it easier to go up hills compared to a standard double. A triple has three chainrings (on a road bike, typically 30/39/50 or 52) so easier again but at the expense of slightly worse shifting at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Think I will go with the Defy 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've only briefly looked over their specs. The Cube has better components, the Lapierre has a carbon fork. The Girant has the same low level components as the Lapierre and does not have a carbon fork. If I were to base my decision solely on this information I'd choose between the Lapierre and the Cube and the carbon fork would probably sway it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

I went with the Lapierre in the same situation last month. Very, very happy with it and the time and effort from Cycle Superstore to make sure I got the right fit. The bike worked out something like 760e after discount.

The one downside is the sometimes sketchy front ring shifting - being a n00b I'm not sure if that can be adjusted - but I needed the granny-ring at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Should have a look at this also, €850 with an axa plus card;

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777859_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

I went for the defy 4. I do roughly 32k a day 16k in 16k back. I find it quick enough an robust to take in our roads/cycle lanes that are in brutal nic. Solid bike and well built
    Really happy with my choice, thats just my tupence, try them out and see which one your prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

OP i do roughly 24k round trip to work daily, i never liked the position of a racer but thats just me. i opted for a hybrid, i got a "specialized sirrus sport" hybrid from cycleways, it has a very light frame and wheels that are just a couple of mils thicker and wider than racer wheels. lovely bike. you should look into it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22268

Advertisement