Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate domain and web hosters

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have a perculiar situation which, coupled with an undeniable brainlock atm, it leaving me a little dumbfounded, so I would love some help if possible.

I have registered a .IE domain with "LetsHost.ie", say myname.ie. I also bought a hosting package from servage.net, which will hold my webspace as well as my "company.com" domain name.

Now, the main reason why I registered the .IE name is to have a more recorgnisable email address (firstname@lastname.ie) and add later some blog pages etc.

I now want to create some email forwarders, which should forward any mail to myname.ie to my gmail account (as I don't intend to use the providers webmail packages).

LetsHost give me control of the DNS records, so I have setup MX records pointing to the servage mail servers, but I cannot see that working, as the "myname.ie" isn't registered with Servage and thus unknown.

I'd love to avoid having to buy further services from LetsHost.ie just for the sake of forwarding emails. How do I get around this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could just leave the mail going to myname.ie on LetsHost and use the Gmail Settings/Accounts and Import/Check mail using POP3 to retrieve that email into your Gmail account.

You can use the Gmail Settings/Accounts and Import/Send mail as to send emails as whatever@myname.ie. This will make your emails appear more professional than something@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭krautmick

Well, "Letshost.ie" only manage the domain, and as far as I can see, they don't offer any mailbox only option, so I have no mailbox there. Short of that, I would accept your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

krautmick wrote: »
    Well, "Letshost.ie" only manage the domain, and as far as I can see, they don't offer any mailbox only option, so I have no mailbox there. Short of that, I would accept your point.
    It sounds like servage.net needs to set something up on their end. Contact their support team for help - this is not a perculiar setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

What are you using to host myname.ie? You should be able to set up the email accounts there and forward to your gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭jmcc

krautmick wrote: »
    I now want to create some email forwarders, which should forward any mail to myname.ie to my gmail account (as I don't intend to use the providers webmail packages).

LetsHost give me control of the DNS records, so I have setup MX records pointing to the servage mail servers, but I cannot see that working, as the "myname.ie" isn't registered with Servage and thus unknown.
    The Letshost DNS record for the MX for your domain would have to be set up with the servage IP.

The servage account would have to be set up to receive mail for the domain. (This seems to be the section that's missing from the setup.) You may have to add the domain in your servage control panel.

An e-mail forwarder would theoretically have to be set up in the servage account or control panel.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Please contact LetsHost or Servage for provider specific support. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement