Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading files via ftp

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some assistance and hopefully you guys can help!

I am looking to setup a website where I can display PDF files that are uploaded to my server via ftp.

So basically, I would have a table 5 categories, EG: Cat 1, Cat 2, Cat 3.. etc and then 3 headings under each catagory, EG: Example 1, Example 2, Example 3.. So, my question is, if i was to setup a folder for each of these boxes, if I then upload a PDF document to each of any of these folders, how can I get it to then automatically display the file name and then if clicked, the viewer can download the file!

Basically I'd like to try and cut out the need to configure a CMS and the need to login each time, upload and then insert etc etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Rgds

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

if i was to setup a folder for each of these boxes, if I then upload a PDF document to each of any of these folders, how can I get it to then automatically display the file name and then if clicked, the viewer can download the file!
    as long as you don't have a index file in the folder the files will be listed automatically if you browse to the folder (with Apache). This would be a security risk though.
    Basically I'd like to try and cut out the need to configure a CMS and the need to login each time, upload and then insert etc etc.
    Allowing anonymous users to upload files to your server would also be a security risk. I'd go the CMS route.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. No I would be the only person uploading the files via FTP. Basically I just want a quicker of sending files to the web and displaying them on my website without having to upload and insert them through a cms.

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ahh that makes more sense...

You need a HTML Folder Index...

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that. I've looked through some of those but none seem to work or their download sites are gone. Is there anywhere I can find the HTML code I need to do this?

Many thanks

Paul

Bump!

Sorry mods, I hope you don't mind me bumping up this thread. I could really do with a hand from someone with a bit of experience in this area. Maybe I'm asking too much!

Would be very grateful for any assistance available.

Many thanks

Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

This might be what you want: http://fancify.org/

Blacknight wrote: »
    This might be what you want: http://fancify.org/

This looks good. When will it be available?

Also, more to the point, is there a way which I can write code that any file I upload, appears within a webpage which I design as a Hyperlink?

Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

This looks good. When will it be available?

No idea - you'd have to ask its developer

Blacknight wrote: »
    No idea - you'd have to ask its developer

Thanks a mill!

Advertisement