Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD MSc in Economics

Options
  • 10-04-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about doing the MSC in Economics and I was wondering if anyone else had done it

From what I hear, its tough, but since I have a statistics based degree I think with hard work I might be able to hack it. Particularily since I have an interest in the subject which always helps with any study.

Im looking at doing it part time so that I can manage my job at the same time, though I know most lectures are during work hours, but since its part time it should be workable since my office is nearby.

What do people think of it? What is the workload like for part time students? How well respected is it by employers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,265 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I did the UCD one I am afraid. I believe the TCD one differs in that you do Macro, Micro and Econometrics all year round whereas you only do them for the first semester in UCD.

I think a statistics degree is perfect for the econometrics aspect of it to be honest (the part I found the hardest).

I honestly feel the Micro and Macro can be learned in isolation so I would say you'd have no problem but of course would like some input from someone who actually did it in TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

mari2222 wrote: »
    TCD economics = Governor Honohan Central Bank

... Elaborate?

Also anyone care to comment on the following statement:

TCD MSc is a better option for a top 50 school PhD than UCD MA because of the perceived stronger quantitative component. I'm looking for advice on which to choose..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Are you planning on getting a Phd too eventually?

andrew wrote: »
    Are you planning on getting a Phd too eventually?

Yep, that's the current plan..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ledmanroy

I was under the impression that the UCD Economics school had a better reputation internationally then TCD. Is this assumption incorrect?

you can do micro, macro and econometrics for the full year in UCD for half the price of TCD.

• Advertisement

ledmanroy wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the UCD Economics school had a better reputation internationally then TCD. Is this assumption incorrect?

you can do micro, macro and econometrics for the full year in UCD for half the price of TCD.

Yeah, you'd be right.. but is this reputation inclusive of those going on to do a PhD and not straight into the private sector with the Masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 economicshead

Bump!

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to the MSc Programme in Economics in TCD. I've also been accepted to the MA Programme in UCD. Just wondering if anyone has completed either course? What they thought of them, PHd prospects etc?

Also I get the impression that the TCD MSc is more quants focused than the UCD MA. Is this the case?

Finally the price difference between the two is quite big (5,500 v 9,400 approx). Is the TCD "brand" worth the extra four grand?

Thanks in advance. Any info or advice is much appreciated!

Bump!

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to the MSc Programme in Economics in TCD. I've also been accepted to the MA Programme in UCD. Just wondering if anyone has completed either course? What they thought of them, PHd prospects etc?

Also I get the impression that the TCD MSc is more quants focused than the UCD MA. Is this the case?

Finally the price difference between the two is quite big (5,500 v 9,400 approx). Is the TCD "brand" worth the extra four grand?

Thanks in advance. Any info or advice is much appreciated!

More subject choice in UCD (which I did - you only get Macro, Micro and Econometrics in TCD last time I checked) but was left with what I felt was a poor understanding of Stata when I finished the course (despite getting a 2:1).

Stata is the most important aspect for further research/employment in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 economicshead

Thanks noodler.

How were you thought to use Stata? Were there labs throughout the year? I might try and meet someone in UCD Economics department before the MA starts and see is there any leeway in addressing this.

Other than the poor Stata training how did you find the MA? Was it a challenging course (i.e. big jump from undergrad level) or is it more of the same? What were the class like? Also was there any opportunity to earn money as a tutor/research assistant?

Finally I'm worried that if I decide I want to do a PHd, my quants skills won't be as developed if I choose the UCD MA as opposed to the TCD MSc.

Thanks again for your help and sorry about the barrage of questions!

Thanks noodler.

How were you thought to use Stata? Were there labs throughout the year? I might try and meet someone in UCD Economics department before the MA starts and see is there any leeway in addressing this.

Other than the poor Stata training how did you find the MA? Was it a challenging course (i.e. big jump from undergrad level) or is it more of the same? What were the class like? Also was there any opportunity to earn money as a tutor/research assistant?

Finally I'm worried that if I decide I want to do a PHd, my quants skills won't be as developed if I choose the UCD MA as opposed to the TCD MSc.

Thanks again for your help and sorry about the barrage of questions!

There were stata labs throughout the first seminar (running whilst you were doing Econometrics). I kind of felt all we were really thought to do was evaluate output, then the second semester stuff came which had little Stata and suddenely in summer you found yourself working from scratch as far as I was concerned.

I will qualify that by saying there were naturally some people on my course that were very good at stata (some did it in their unis for undergrad) and also I did NOT study econometrics at undergrad and so went in completely blind on that and stata. Metrics is now compulsory in final year undergrad in UCD now I believe. Main problem was the labs were thought by a PHD student, he was ok but the whole thing lacked structure. Some of the computers we used didn't have the correct version, sometimes we were sharing computer rooms with other classes/people just doing ad hoc assignments etc.

I enjoyed the course otherwise, Macro was relatively easy imo, Micro was a bitch but I also had issues with the teaching methods here, Econometrics guy was very good for the theory (regular exams kept us on our toes).

The other subjects you do in semester 2 are more difficult to assess in that way, I founf development economics to be similar to undergrad whilst I thought international (trade) economics was great.

More structure with thesis stuff would have helped as well, they have these alternatives to the thesis, calles 'assignments' which you do two of. I ended up doing these rather than the thesis and I regret - it was the lazy option and it hurts my academic CV now. I think it harms the programme to have these as options (i.e. when someone asks you in an interview what you did your thesis on, you have to lie, or if its an interview for a very relevant job you probably can't lie).

Regarding PHD options, I'd say around half my years went on to do PHDs at various places so there didn't seem an issue there although I finished in 2008 so obviously unsure what the grant situation is like now. Working in a related field now and would love to go back and do a PHD in the future if I come up with a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

noodler wrote: »
    Regarding PHD options, I'd say around half my years went on to do PHDs at various places so there didn't seem an issue there although I finished in 2008 so obviously unsure what the grant situation is like now.

That sounds great, it's more than I was expecting. What were some of the universities that people got into for their PhDs?

God, of the top of my head:

Mostly UCD
    Trinity

One or two abroad as well (don't know the precise unis though).

7 or 8 people that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Thanks. I'm looking forward to September!

Slippers wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to September!

The impression I got was that if your grades were good, you had a decent idea and you got the support of a lecturer that it wasn't a huge problem.

Anyway, enjoy - despite my bitching above it was the most challenging (and rewarding) academic year of my 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I did the Msc and ditched it for UCD. It is learning by rote.

Advertisement