Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a 3G dongle with Android pad?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Hope to buy one of the new Honeycomb Tablets later this year. The wifi only ones are generally quite a bit cheaper than ones with 3G connectivity. As I won't be needing voice , would it be possible to use a USB 3G dongle?

Meteor are selling them fairly cheap now.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why not get a MiFi dongle? Would be wireless and save the issues of not working with Linux or Mac as it as far as i remember only works on Windows (but correct me if things changed :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Why not get a MiFi dongle? Would be wireless and save the issues of not working with Linux or Mac as it as far as i remember only works on Windows (but correct me if things changed :) )

Things have changed.

Both 3's E585 (Huawei) and Vodafone's R201 (Huawei) are now self standing, as in, both have 'Admin panels', meaning any settings can be accessed through a web interface, over wi-fi.

It doesn't matter what OS you're using, or even on a phone, as long as it can display and interact with a basic web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It does matter, since android cannot connect to an ad-hoc wifi network. This stuff is very device specific unfortunately. Tethering tablet to phone runs into this problem a lot, needs root tinkering to get around it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A lot of the cheaper Android tablets reportedly work with 3G dongles. I haven't a working dongle to test with on mine unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Why not get a MiFi dongle? )
    1. Because I don't need a mifi
    2. Because Meteor dongle is €9 and Three's MiFi is €69.

pickarooney:A lot of the cheaper Android tablets reportedly work with 3G dongles.

Anybody like to report on working combinations of Android and 3G donlges?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

srsly78 wrote: »
    It does matter, since android cannot connect to an ad-hoc wifi network. This stuff is very device specific unfortunately. Tethering tablet to phone runs into this problem a lot, needs root tinkering to get around it.

When using the E585 or R201? Have you any experience of problems ..are you certain of that?

No problems accessing the Admin panels here.

---

Tablets like the Herotab (multiple models) will work with very specific models of Huawei dongles.

You would have to ask on the support\fan forum of the tablet you've purchased

Only video I could find after a quick search.

Have a search, there are other videos showing a basic menu pop up after the 3G dongle is inserted. I have seen the menu on the Herotab C8/Dropad A8, as well as the model above.

Advertisement