Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Irish Music scene

Options
  • 10-04-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

This is my 1st post on boards so let me introduce myself. Im a 20 year old college student in Dublin. I suppose I would identify as Bi, I'm not officially out (i told 1 friend straight up once), basically because I don't feel the need. If people ask then I'm honest but other than that I don't see why I should explain myself to people. I also have quite strong gender identity issues, but thats a story for another time :P

For a large portion of my teen years I wanted to be a musician. I do play guitar and bass and have played in a band. One thing I noticed was that the Dublin music scene is poor. There are no venues that host their own events, very few venues to play in general that want young bands playing original materials and not a lot of co-operation between organisers and bands.
    Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be very little diversity in the scene. Everyone seems to be straight (I've personally never met another LGBT musician on the scene, although I've been out of the loop for a while) white and Irish, I do know people who are not white and Irish but very few of them.

Obviously the gay stereotype is that we all love madonna and kylie and don't know the first thing about rock music, this is nonsense as you all know. I was wondering is anyone here involved in the live music scene in Ireland in general and major cities individually? Do you encounter many other LGBT musicians, I'm not really talking about DJs, nothing against them but with the number of gay clubs and club nights they have the obvious outlet to be seen.

If your not involved in any live music why not? Is there any specific reason other than not being a musician or not liking the genres popular in your area?

I'm considering trying to make a short documentary based loosely around this topic so any feedback at all would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the tme to read this and I look forward to whatever perspective you have on the issue.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think Wallis Bird is a lesbian and she's from Meath, but thats all I can think of.
    The music scene in Ireland is just **** to begin with and its very small, I'd say its just down to numbers that there aren't that many LGBT musicians within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

I'm an LGBT musician! By musician I mean formerly, perhaps. Classical piano. I used to compete and stuff. But sadly now I lack the willpower to practice and have degenerated into sh*tness. I can play the violin and the mandolin also though. Again, I say, I'm really, very awfully crap. I have a trained voice though! And I'm not crap at that. Singing's my favourite. I just wish I could play the piano though. Let's form the gayest band there ever was! :)

I've never really played with other people in the whole 'rock music' setting though. Only with people playing the cello or the violin. But I like lots of different kinds of music, not just classical/Romantic stuff or opera.

I'm rambling. Em. Yay music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Asry wrote: »
    Let's form the gayest band there ever was! :)

I think 4 Puffs and a Piano already have that title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Booon

Cuckoo Savante.... Leanne Harte.... Also, I personally know a dozen or more gay singer-song writers and musicians in bands and djs around Dublin and around the country, and in Northern Ireland.

It's not that there are no or few gay musicians, it's that they generally don't advertise the fact that they're gay.. mainly I presume, because the interest should be in their music and not who they bone!

You should check out the music scene in Belfast and Derry, very welcoming and uber gay. Plus there are a lot of venues that actually seek out new talent so it's quite easy to bag a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, I know it's not like we all have scream it from the rooftops. What I meant was in my experience (in an indie/pop punk band, not my prefered genre) talking to other bands I never came across any musician who was anything but the prototype macho irish male. With the exception of female and foreign musicians, who are quite rare. I know this doesn't mean they were straight per say but I definitely got that vibe off them by their actions if you know what I mean. This may just be genre specific though it's hard to say.

The music scene being as crap as it is here it is hard to reach too many musicians outside of the immediate genre people pigeonhole you into I find. Most of the shows I played at were genre specific or all bands were friends with the organiser.

I have heard the scene North of the border is pretty good. I may just have to check that out sometime soon.

And as I am in the process of trying to get a band together or join one Asry why don't we have a go at some classical/funk/whatever-takes-your-fancy collaboration at some point :p It could be quite fun to play some music out of the standard guys with guitars stuff for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Meesared wrote: »
    I think 4 Puffs and a Piano already have that title!

Ha!! I've never heard of them!! deadly!! to isohunt I go. [by that I do of course mean HMV]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nunzilla

Hey!

I'm a lesbian bass player and I used to play with a gay drummer. I've recognised a few gay musicians from gigs i've played in the Mezz. There are a few other gays out there but I guess between the time you get to meet people and also get on stage is not always the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Hi guys and girls,

This is my 1st post on boards so let me introduce myself. Im a 20 year old college student in Dublin. I suppose I would identify as Bi, I'm not officially out (i told 1 friend straight up once), basically because I don't feel the need. If people ask then I'm honest but other than that I don't see why I should explain myself to people. I also have quite strong gender identity issues, but thats a story for another time :P

For a large portion of my teen years I wanted to be a musician. I do play guitar and bass and have played in a band. One thing I noticed was that the Dublin music scene is poor. There are no venues that host their own events, very few venues to play in general that want young bands playing original materials and not a lot of co-operation between organisers and bands.
    Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be very little diversity in the scene. Everyone seems to be straight (I've personally never met another LGBT musician on the scene, although I've been out of the loop for a while) white and Irish, I do know people who are not white and Irish but very few of them.

Obviously the gay stereotype is that we all love madonna and kylie and don't know the first thing about rock music, this is nonsense as you all know. I was wondering is anyone here involved in the live music scene in Ireland in general and major cities individually? Do you encounter many other LGBT musicians, I'm not really talking about DJs, nothing against them but with the number of gay clubs and club nights they have the obvious outlet to be seen.

If your not involved in any live music why not? Is there any specific reason other than not being a musician or not liking the genres popular in your area?

I'm considering trying to make a short documentary based loosely around this topic so any feedback at all would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the tme to read this and I look forward to whatever perspective you have on the issue.
    whats so beautiful about music is it is universal and brings everybody together. i play acoustic and electric.
    lol that is my gripe in the gay scene - its so much pop disco ****e. ah i like a bit of everything but it can get a bit "someone stop the music"!
    there are queer/indie nights out there for the scene but i find them full of little emos that grate on my nerves lol. they just wreck my head :rolleyes:
    i'm 33 now *shock horror :eek:*
    when i was 17 and in school i was in a band. we used to play in fibbers every night.
    the odd night i go back in there when there are friends playing and its always a good night.
    i tend to just jam by myself or get a few friends around for a session. the odd time i fill in for someone if they are stuck on the night.
    it is what it is. its all about the persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I was a young grunger, now I listen to all sorts of music. Love live gigs and do my best to go to a gig every two weeks.

i do dislike all the pop and disco but it has it's place and i do like a good dance now and then once the music is good.

There is always a lot of gay guys at electric picnic every year but usually in a mixed crowd of their friends so you cannot really tell. An LGB gigsoc might be a good idea so.

Throw out a gig idea and see who's interested and then buy tickets and meet for pints. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I shoot gigs. Mainly indie rock and rock shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

musician here, play in an indie/rock/folk group, we play gigs in dublin, send me a pm if you want to find out any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I've always wanted to learn something (either piano/keyboard, bass or guitar). I've never had the funds though and I suck at motivating myself in general. I've got a paid work placement this summer (yep that's right, never had proper job) so I might get myself something to learn the basics on. I really enjoy singing but I'm absolutely atrocious at it. Got kicked out of the choir in primary school after five minutes (sadly that's not an exaggeration).

I listen to a bit of everything really. I do like pop but I do wish there was more diversity on a night out sometimes (not just in gay clubs, in clubs/pubs in general).

Advertisement