Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this fish?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

The young fella caught this with his hands yesterday on Lough Ree, what is it? It had a gash on it's side and was dying.....

30hyjcm.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Looks like a stone loach to me.. not to up on the fresh water species, but i'd be 98% sure its a stone loach!! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A stone loach that looks like it escaped from a heron attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

cheers guys, stone loach it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

looks like a gudgeon too but the tail makes it look more like a stone loach alright, never seen one in all my yrs on ree! have seen gudgeon alright, my son caught 2 in a tributary last yr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You expect them in rivers, not the like of L Ree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

bayliner wrote: »
    looks like a gudgeon too but the tail makes it look more like a stone loach alright, never seen one in all my yrs on ree! have seen gudgeon alright, my son caught 2 in a tributary last yr

i can see what your saying by suggesting gudgeon, however gudgeon have relatively large scaled for its body, unlike stone loach, also gudgeon have a largish caudal fin with a slight wrist and noticeable 'V' where as stone loach caudal fin is flat with the body and only has slight 'V'...

as I said before, i'm not too up on the freshwater species.. ;)

Twas just at Gallaghers boat house at the mouth of the lake so it's slightly debateable if it's ree or shannon!!! Was on the north side of the rails so I say Ree.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Twas just at Gallaghers boat house at the mouth of the lake so it's slightly debateable if it's ree or shannon!!! Was on the north side of the rails so I say Ree.... ;)

Tis a stone loach Ted , saw matthayes catchingf em on D'Telly last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It's an adult Stoneloach alright. You should have been able to see visible 'whiskers' on her.
    They favour clean well oxygenated water over gravel.

Not too sure how they can be confused with a Gudgeon which is a completly different shape and colour (Silver/Blue)!

:Dno no your not on ree till you pass the white rock:D:D.... bloody close though ha ha .....
    i didnt say it was a gudgeon, i said it looked a little like one thats all!!!! the gudgeon in the breensford river are not blue and silver,

• Advertisement

:Dno no your not on ree till you pass the white rock:D:D.... bloody close though ha ha .....
    i didnt say it was a gudgeon, i said it looked a little like one thats all!!!! the gudgeon in the breensford river are not blue and silver,

Brilliant, then the 22lb and 25lb pike that myself and my brother caught 3 years ago were specimens (river pike) as they were just before the white rock!! :D:D:D

Brilliant, then the 22lb and 25lb pike that myself and my brother caught 3 years ago were specimens (river pike) as they were just before the white rock!! :D:D:D

good stuff:D... yeah its (as i remember it) always been the lake starts at the white rock!

great pike them!!! sunken island is always a good spot too:), just a cast away from there:)

good stuff:D... yeah its (as i remember it) always been the lake starts at the white rock!

great pike them!!! sunken island is always a good spot too:), just a cast away from there:)

Don't I know it, lost a big fish there last summer, spun the boat twice in 5 mins and never got to see it before it transferred the hook to a clump of weeds.....was soooo gutted.. :mad:

Don't I know it, lost a big fish there last summer, spun the boat twice in 5 mins and never got to see it before it transferred the hook to a clump of weeds.....was soooo gutted.. :mad:
    you not fishing the pike festival this week??

you not fishing the pike festival this week??

didnt even know it was on!!!! Thought it was next week. Need to get my engine serviced next week anyways so unfortunately not. :rolleyes:

last day tomorow:)... didnt go either, heard there was a 25lb plus lost today!

ouch!!! was there much of a turnout? I think its a bad idea having it during the week, some of us hav to work.. :);)

only spoke to 1 competitor as of yet, he said there seems to be a good crowd, def more than last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I forgot about it too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eamon Cunningham

Lough Ree International Pike Festival

Padraigh-Ciara-Corcoran-03-200x300.jpg“A roaring success” is how one of the 120 anglers described the three day boat angling pike festival staged on Lough Ree last week. And anglers taking part needed to catch a pike of 85 centimetres – a fish estimated at about 18lb – to win one of the top eight prizes each day.
    All boats were launched from Coosan Point providing quick access to more than 12 miles of the massive lough and the quest was to catch the biggest pike possible, measure it on the special board provided in each boat, photograph the fish and return it alive and unharmed as quickly as possible.
    There was an average of 64 pike caught each day.
    At stake was a massive €18,000 including €3,000 for the biggest fish caught and this year a chance to win the Pike Angling World Cup, a competition based on the total length of the longest fish caught each day on the boat.
    Local pike match fishing expert Joe McDermott from Longford got off to a great start and won both the first and second day with fish of 103cms and was looking likely to sweep the board. But disaster struck on Friday and he and his angling partner failed to catch a single fish.
    When everyone handed in their result sheets on Friday evening the longest fish recorded by the anglers was a pike of 102cms from French angler Domnic Potoczny, who had travelled especially for the event with three friends.
    However, when the organisers scrutinised the camera memory card they discovered that the fish was in fact 106cms – the biggest fish caught! It turned the expected results upside down.
    2011-Individual-300x203.jpg
    When it was announced the room erupted with cheers and a bemused Domnic stepped forward to receive his cheque for €3000 from the Mayor of Athlone, Sheila Buckley Byrne.
    And moments later another big surprise came with news the the Pike Angling World Cup had been won by 10 year old Ciara Corcoran and her father Padraigh from County Roscommon. They had a combined 262 centimetres for the three days, which included a pike of 101cms caught by Ciara in the final session that gave her second place on the day plus €700.

Day One winners
    Joe McDermott Longford 103cms*

1 Derek Costello Longford 96 cms
    2 Barry Darby Mullingar 95 cms AND
    3 John McDonough Wicklow 95 cms
    4 Gerry Roach Athlone 94 cms
    5 Sean Kelly Athlone 92 cms
    6 Nick O’Connor Ennis 90 cms
    7 Paul Fallows Athlone 89 cms
    8 Olive Schmidt Germany 88 cms

Day Two winners
    Joe McDermott Longford 103cms*

1 Sean Kelly Athlone 102cms
    2 Raymond Dowling Athlone 99 cms
    3 Angela Sloane Athlone 94 cms
    4 Aigars Dombrovski Waterford 93 cms
    5 John Flanagan Mullingar 92 cms
    6 Mick Flanagan Mullingar 91 cms AND
    7 Danny Malone Longford 91 cms
    8 Sean Kelly Athlone 89 cms

Day Three winners
    Domnic Ptotczy France 106cms*

1 Kevin Grimes Clare 102cms
    2 Ciara Corcoran Roscommon 101cms
    3 Martin McCaffery Athlone 99 cms
    4 Damian Grifferty Mullingar 98.5cms
    5 Frank Heidthe Kerry 92.5cms
    6 Michael Conway Athlone 92 cms
    7 Martin McCaffery Athlone 91 cms
    8 Richard Fallon Athlone 85 cms and
    8 Anthony Scalley Mullingar 85 cms
    * Overall winners
    Pike Angling World Cup
    1 Ireland (Roscommon) Padraigh & Ciara Corcoran 262 points.

Main Picture caption
    Ciara and Padraigh Corcoran share a magical moment as the 10 year old school girl hugs the World Cup.
    Presentation pic (LtoR)
    Michael Brady (Failte Ireland); Domnic Potoczy (France); Mayor of Athlone, Sheila Buckley Byrne; Damien Brennan (Failte Ireland)

• Advertisement
Advertisement