Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Names getting behind Ireland trying to overturn ICC 2015 WC Decision

Options
  • 10-04-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Some great stuff on Twitter over the last few days with big name sportspeople backing Ireland being at least allowed to try and qualify for next Cricket World Cup.

Ashes Winning Captain Michael Vaughan - 'Let's get Ireland a chance of getting in the WC again.. Pre tournament qualifier involving associate teams.. finalists to go through..' & 'ICC look at the bank balance rather than the good of the game.. no incentive for Associate teams now.. And Ireland throw a good party..'

Legend Freddie Flintoff & Retweeted by Piers Morgan '@piersmorgan never mind the glamour girl help @Irelandcricket get more followers can't believe they won't be in the next 2 world cups !'
    & 'I agree with all you irish lads , you deserve to play world cup cricket ! Should appeal !'
    & 'Think the ECB should announce a 3 match ODI series with Ireland out of respect ! What do you think ? #irelandshouldbeintheworldcup'
    & 'Terrible not having ireland in WC they enhanced the tournament I thought ! Did England get in ?'

Former No.1 ODI bowler Nathan Bracken - '@Irelandcricket 6 automatic rest play off to qualify. Ur teams performance in the last 2 have shown u deserve a chance to be there.'

Kiwi quick Iain O'Brien - '@Irelandcricket all I've got is a voice and an opinion... I'm with you however I can be.'

Former England Test Spinner Shaun Udal - 'As mum is Irish which obviously makes me half Irish,pls support @Irelandcricket in their campaign to overturn the ridiculous icc decision'

Cricket Analyst Simon Hughes - 'Quite right disgraceful that Ireland not in next w/cup but lets start a campaign for early season home nations cricket tournament instead'

Test Match Special's Jonathan Agnew - 'Only ICC could make such a damaging & selfish decision to ban Associates.......and no incentive for the Associates who need 50 overs to develop, not the sop of T20 Astonishing decision'

Irish Grand Slam Captain Brian O'Driscoll - 'Appalling decision to reduce the number of teams in the next cricket world cup after our performance in this year's comp! #paddybashers' & '@Green23 Shocking! Thought the world cup was about promoting your sport!!! #idiotsincharge'

England Fast Bowler & Strictly Come Dancer Darren Gough - 'Ireland proved they can upset the big boys as much as Bangladesh keep em in I say'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tweet a minute ago from commentator/comedian:

ZaltzCricket Andy Zaltzman

ICC opens World Cup door for Ireland. "We'll let any nation join in who can prove that they were already a Test nation 10 years ago..."

ICC spokesman cont.: "It is now up to Ireland to give us the evidence that they played Tests in 2001. We can't be any fairer than that."

Hes about right too, ICC would happily move the goalposts to suit themselves and their bank balance. Incidentally, do they really think they will make more money out of Zimbabwe than Ireland?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nice to get support but I dont really think the ICC give a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

For what its worth, (not much probably) Leo "The Lion" Varadkar has come out in support.

Maybe he can use his americaness, acerbic commentary and vaguely asian ethnicity to swing a bit of favour in the boards?.....No?....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I don't think his Asianness is vague. Isn't his father Indian?

Having him in support, and I have heard he is a big cricket fan, can do no harm and will surely help also with the development of Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mongarra wrote: »
    I don't think his Asianness is vague. Isn't his father Indian?

Having him in support, and I have heard he is a big cricket fan, can do no harm and will surely help also with the development of Malahide.

Not as vague as my humour it would seem......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Sorry, just copped now. Probably too tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

ICC is ridiculous, I understand it's about the quality of the teams at the end of the day but this is the same organisation who allows matches be played in extremely unsafe locations due to political cirrcumstances. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Ah sure what can you do, the ICC are pricks. And like we actually would make more money for the ICC then zimbabwe, simply because we would have bigger support and such. At least give us a qualifying tournament!

Advertisement