Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance....quick question!

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, quick question:

If I buy a car and I register it under MY OWN NAME,it: put my name on the logbook therefore I become the owner; can SOMEONE else get insured on the car if I dont take out insurance myself?

For example, say I'm buying a car for someone but I want the car in MY NAME. Will they have any problems getting the car insured? Or do I have to take out insurance aswell?

Hope this isnt confusing!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

you can get named driver on your policy, or ask about open policy, mean that car may drive anyone on certain circumstances (age , license , etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

legally ya can't insure a car if ya don't own it, theres no problem with you insuring it and getting someone as a named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

So I cant buy a car in my name to lend to someone?

Thats kinda crap :/

the only way to do it is to get open driving on a policy, that way anyone over 25 with a full licence is covered to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BoycieIRL

Similar type question here, girl in work has just been promoted and will now be getting a co. car. She is giving her existing car to her husband. Will she have to change owners name or can she just transfer his insurance onto her old car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

BoycieIRL wrote: »
    Similar type question here, girl in work has just been promoted and will now be getting a co. car. She is giving her existing car to her husband. Will she have to change owners name or can she just transfer his insurance onto her old car?

Dependes on the insruance company, but most of the will have no problem with insuring a car owned by spouse or partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

guil wrote: »
    the only way to do it is to get open driving on a policy, that way anyone over 25 with a full licence is covered to drive

But to get policy in the first place, the owner need to have a driving licence.
    What about the case, when someone without a licence wants to have a car to be driven by someone else.
    Seems to be impossible.

the op never said if they have a licence or not, if ya want someone else to drive the car legally ya have to put it in their name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Aviva ask who owns the car, they don't refuse insurance on the basis that the proposer doesn't own the car.

My dad is insures my mam's car and vice-versa as it works out cheaper. My mam used to insure my car. At all times the insurance companies involved knew who owned the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

guil wrote: »
    legally ya can't insure a car if ya don't own it, theres no problem with you insuring it and getting someone as a named driver

Urban Myth, not true.

The only issue that arises in terms of ownership is with the comprehensive part of a policy as legally you cannot insure something in which you have no interest i.e. you don't own it. In practical terms that means that I cannot take out a fire policy on my neighbour's house.

However insurance companies would have no legal issue with A taking out a policy of third party insurance on a car owned by B and in fact A could also pay for comprehensive cover on the basis that the owner of the car (B) would be compensated if the car was crashed and the damage was not recoverable from a third party.

Isn't this what happens all the time with company cars? Your typical company car is owned by a finance company but the employer pays an insurance company to cover the employee to drive it so there is no legal issue with someone taking out a policy to cover them to drive a car they do not own, it happens all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement