Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firmware update through KIES

Options
  • 10-04-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I have a Galaxy Ace on S5830XWKAB which has a wifi bug which is fixed in newer firmware according to a site I found. The only thing is that KIES doesn't seem to pick up these updates even though samfirmware offers 3 updates above my firmware. How exactly do you update through KIES in case I am doing something wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can't make force update with KIES anymore.
    You need to use a program called ODIN to flash the newer firmwares for your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

ongarite wrote: »
    You can't make force update with KIES anymore.
    You need to use a program called ODIN to flash the newer firmwares for your phone.
    But how can I get official updates through KIES? I'd rather not touch non-Samsung firmware so I don't void my warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Jackobyte wrote: »
    But how can I get official updates through KIES? I'd rather not touch non-Samsung firmware so I don't void my warranty.

Who is your phone provider? they will need to release an update for this before it will appear in KIES.

What version of android is on it now?

angel01 wrote: »
    Who is your phone provider? they will need to release an update for this before it will appear in KIES.

What version of android is on it now?
    It's on 2.2.1

Newest firmware is still only 2.2.1 but it includes a wifi bug fix. Wifi will not always turn on until you reboot the phone. Issue is fixed in update.

Provider is 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's on 2.2.1

Newest firmware is still only 2.2.1 but it includes a wifi bug fix. Wifi will not always turn on until you reboot the phone. Issue is fixed in update.

Provider is 3

Have you asked in the 3 forum if they plan on sending out that update?

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you asked in the 3 forum if they plan on sending out that update?
    Hadn't released there was a 3 forum. Will do that now.

If I got the device unlocked, would this open up KIES and allow it to find all updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If I got the device unlocked, would this open up KIES and allow it to find all updates?

That will only let you use diffrent SIM cards (non 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

god's toy wrote: »
    That will only let you use diffrent SIM cards (non 3)

Exactly, put a vodafone sim in there and get the latest firmware they offer if its newer than what 3 have out

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Exactly, put a vodafone sim in there and get the latest firmware they offer if its newer than what 3 have out
    Would that cause issues with pre-installed apps like my3, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Three ship roms with the special version of skype.

Advertisement