Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geting back in the saddle after bad accident / fall

Options
  • 09-04-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey folks

I did a search on the forum for accidents / falls and found a thread about 3 years old, but rather than unearth it I thought I might start a new one...

2 weeks ago I had a bad fall off my horse. We were practicing a series of 5 jumps in a row, with the side of the arena immediately to my left (whenever my horse runs out, he tends to go to the left, so this was to discourage him running out). Started off with 5 ground poles and gradually raised them until they were at 60cm vertical, 60cm vertical, cross bar, cross bar, and then an oxer which finally got to 1.10m. Beautiful sunny day and my horse was jumping well, I was calm and had good confidence. On the LAST time through (of course), I made it through the 2 verticals and 2 cross-bars and was just at the oxer when I made the mistake of leaning forward before the jump. My horse ran out to the left - I fell to the right, half off him, and scrambled at his mane to stay on. As he immediately met the side of the area when he ran out, he ended up spinning around and re-facing the jumps he just went over. I tried desperately to pull myself back up into the saddle as he took off at a gallop and went flying over a jump... I flew through the air in front of him, hit a jump, got a few kicks as he went over me, felt a sudden blow to my face, and I was just left stunned on the ground groaning about my teeth and my back. One of my front teeth was pushed back 4mm into my mouth (though not broken), and the one next to it was broken right off. My lip was cut open and needed 7 stitches. But worse... even though I was able to stand, although my back hurt, when we got to the hospital the X-ray found I had fractured my L1 in my lumbar spine and had hairline fractures in my tailbone.

I was in hospital for a week flat on my back, wasn't allowed up, while they did cat scans and MRIs. Back brace was proposed, but there was the possibility it wouldn't heal well and I'd need surgery in the long-run, so following doctor's advice I went for surgery last Friday - percutaneous spinal fixation - which involved putting a screw in my T12 and L2 (vertebrae above and below L1) and a rod in between to stabilise the L1 while it heals. I was in AGONY after the surgery, but drugs helped, and I was walking the next day (with assistance!) My dentist worked wonders and, while I will need more work in a month or so, at least I don't have gap in my smile anymore. My stitches are gone and there's a little scar over my lip, but I'm using Bio Oil religiously to get rid of it hopefully!

First stage of rehab is 6 weeks- can't sit in a chair for more than 10 min, have to walk or lie down, and I'm off work. Can't do anything around the house that involves lifting, bending, or pulling so feel terrible while my boyfriend cooks, cleans, and does everything as I lie on a couch!! Will be at least 3 months until I can return to normal light activity and 6 months until I can go back horseriding apparently..... gutted....

But my question is two-fold.

1) Has anyone else ever had a bad accident off the horse? How did you find the recuperation? Any tips, particularly on the physio?

2) Did you return to horseriding? How did you find it? Did people try to dissuade you? How did you feel?

A lot of my friends think I'm crazy, but I love riding and will definitely return to it when I can - although first thing I will buy is a back protector!! :) May not jump for a bit, but even working on flatwork and dressage would be good to start with. I really miss my horse :-( But my mother and some other friends and family have said they'll have me committed if I even think about horseriding again.... I know they're worried about me, but I don't want to give it up.

Sorry for the long-winded story, but I think it's also important to highlight the dangers than CAN happen in horseriding. I did a lot of research in my week in hospital (the joys of hospital wi-fi) and people get more serious injuries horseriding than they do in motorcycle or automobile racing. Not trying to scare people off riding, but I never thought it would happen to me until it did.... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

when i was 12, i had severe flexion of the neck as a result of a rotational fall, the horse clipped the top of the fence and somersaulted. neck brace for 6 weeks, took it off after 4 and while i was back riding almost straight away, it took ages to get my confidence up to jump. my fathers insistence that if i left it too long, i'd never get going again. so i did. about month later i got bucked off and landed very hard on the flat ofmy back. couldnt feel or move my legs:eek:. off to hospital, fell unconcious in the ambulance(shock, as it turned out). by the time we reached hospital, i was ok again(could feel and move everything again). while i know these injuries were nothing as bad as yours, the only way i got going again was by sheer persistence on my fathers part to get me back in the saddle, so all i can say is,just do it. i know it seems hard and scarey, but its the only way. baby steps, all the way.
    btw, these two falls put paid to any fear i had had before, after i got going again i was alot braver, as i felt that if i survived what i did(i was 12, i thought i was superman after surviving those falls:D), i could survive anything:o. 6 years on im now raceriding in p2ps.
    in short, get back in he saddle and your sorted. just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Woosheen Glad to hear your recovering fromwhat sounds horrible.
    Re Rehab just follow all the orders your given by your medical team and when they start yor exercise programme do a bit extra.

As said above getting back on a horse is all about just doing it. Most people dont understand why we do it and will tell you your mad but 'The Call of the Saddle' is something we have to live with.

I hepled a friend who had been a late starter to return from very similar injuries which happened at a riding school. We started out on a bomproof Horse and took it very slowly. Within a year she was riding her own young horse and jumping her first ever 90cm track.

Take your time and Good luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

s-cogan and esroh - thanks for the responses. And thanks for sharing your info about your fall s-cogan, sounds like it was tough but inspiring to hear you got back up in the saddle anyway! And yes Esroh you put it well, the "call of the saddle" is a hard one to ignore, just can't wait to get back out to my horse - although I will pay heed to my consultant's advice and go back when he says so. Although he thinks I'm a bit nuts to want to go back horseriding as well!

With all due respect to the hospital physios, they were very nice but gave me little info or targetted help - 10 min with them the day after my surgery to help me stand and walk, and the another 10 min on the 3rd day to make sure I could get up / down stairs. They gave me a leaflet with a few exercises like leg raises and pelvic tilts, and I was told to walk a little every day, but that's it.... I want a more active recovery, which I know I'm able for, even if it's just working out my arms and legs and resting my back. It's hard to go from horseriding, running, and gym to lying on the couch for days on end (trying to avoid the lure of lovely boxes of chocolates my friends brought me in hospital! yummmmm) and I don't want to lose my fitness altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Definitely go back to it! Don't care what anyone else says if you love it do it.

Just do what the Dr's say and you'll be back in no time. I fall off all the time and s-cogan you're right about what you say about falling off. If I fall off I have to get back on or I feel like i've failed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

wosheen wrote: »
    s-cogan and esroh - thanks for the responses. And thanks for sharing your info about your fall s-cogan, sounds like it was tough but inspiring to hear you got back up in the saddle anyway! And yes Esroh you put it well, the "call of the saddle" is a hard one to ignore, just can't wait to get back out to my horse - although I will pay heed to my consultant's advice and go back when he says so. Although he thinks I'm a bit nuts to want to go back horseriding as well!

With all due respect to the hospital physios, they were very nice but gave me little info or targetted help - 10 min with them the day after my surgery to help me stand and walk, and the another 10 min on the 3rd day to make sure I could get up / down stairs. They gave me a leaflet with a few exercises like leg raises and pelvic tilts, and I was told to walk a little every day, but that's it.... I want a more active recovery, which I know I'm able for, even if it's just working out my arms and legs and resting my back. It's hard to go from horseriding, running, and gym to lying on the couch for days on end (trying to avoid the lure of lovely boxes of chocolates my friends brought me in hospital! yummmmm) and I don't want to lose my fitness altogether.
    Firstly I am really sorry to hear about your fall, it sounds horrific (I think it was actually the knocking of the teeth that got me!) How long have you been riding for?
    I know it sounds like a cliché but I'd definitely agree, get yourself back in the sadlle. When I was 12 I cracked 2 ribs.
    It looks like you're fairly eager to get back but I would advise taking it really is. Little short hacks and all that jazz, build your strength up and all. Will someone be riding your horse while you're recovering? I stupidly made the mistake a while ago of turning my mare out while I recovered from back trouble...First day back in the saddle - Back trouble returned!
    Anyways hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Tess Walsh

Been there, done that, and know how hard it is to get back on. I came off on the road and fractured my pelvis, broke my toe and damaged my knee. Was on the flat of my back for 6 weeks and it was another four before I could even manage to climb on board but I did and it is the best thing I ever did, honest. The thing is to look at getting back riding as a great big adventure - the fall was a blip, only a blip and life is full of blips. You run out of credit, thats a blip, your battery dies, another blip. Not being silly here but thats how I managed it - am going very well now and fell off twice in the cold weather and got back on straight away. You can do it - think of how good it feels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To be honest I'm going to go a bit against what others have said, sure get back on the horse but do not rush it. It's amazing how easy it is to damage something even more if you try to do too much too soon! Another fall could easily finish you off if you jump the gun and attempt to get back on the horse (so to speak) too quickly especially when it comes to back injuries. Definately take it easy until you have finished your physio then build yourself back up slowly and give yourself time to recover and heal fully. I'd suggest a course of pilates classes (from a trained, qualified instructor) for a while after your physio runs it course and then swimming, you'll be able to tell yourself when you've healed enough that a sudden jerk from a horse won't put you back at square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

My Girlfriend Fractured her Skull, damaged vertebrae and now has 2 bulges on her spine back in July 09 and She is Back Jumping Full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I had my knee shattered by a young horse who took off with me and smashed my left knee into a tree at full speed.

It took ages to get back to *normal* and over 20 years later I can tell you when the weather is changing without watching the forecast. :D

I took my time as AJ said and have never looked back BUT I don't like trees as much anymore ;).

Every person is different and I think age plays a small role as well. If it would happen now, I might be only seen with a pony and trap from now on..

Advertisement