Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion sensor lights - deterrent?

Options
  • 09-04-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Quick question:

are motion sensor lights a deterrent or an aid to burglars?

I'm afraid that they may just be helpful to them, and if they light up for every passing cat, everyone will ignore them. We've had a very nasty aggravated burglary in the the neighbourhood recently and we've been discussing what else we should have other than a burglar alarm.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A big dog or cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

as well as OR instead of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I have both. If you're prioritising I'd say alarm, dog, CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes lights are well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 onmia

Get the lights installed for sure !!! I installed 3 x 500watt halogen floodlights around the parameter of the parents house all with pir motion detection. I had also installed 4 day/night CCTV cameras on the house aswell , 2 on the front 1 on the side and 1 on the rear of the house. Reasion for the installs was extra security and piece of mind as they were living end of cul de sac.
    One morning about 6 am ish 2 White transit vans parked up across the road from the parents house, 3 men got out and made there way to the parents house , now the noise from the transits woke my parents up who were watching the men come on to their property.
    A little nerve racking at 6 am. The security lights came on and the men were gone like a shot. All caught on camera.

So in answer the op's question get the lights installed , CCTV too if the budget allows and if you have an alarm system you can get the security lights to turn on when the alarm activates.

On a side note as these men were coming on to the property the folks being worried and afraid had a little row over who to call ! Should they call the local station or 999 , they were thinking the local station as they thought it didn't warrant the 999 call. Any how when the lights came on and the lads left they didn't bother making the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would go with the lights JC, if you can add the CCTV too and of course a dog if you can; that way you have all the bases covered. You can't stop people getting into your house if they really want; what you can do however, if make it more difficult. Difficult enough to make them look for an easier option.

I have a monitored alarm and PR lights front and back. Yes cats and the like can set them off, I been seen looking out my bedroom at 3am only to see nothing there. However, the lights mean that if anyone wants to break in they have to do so under the light, making them more visible. I can’t keep a dog as I'm not during the day.

At the end of the day, if a person is determined to get in your house they will, but you can increase your security to a point where the intruder believes the likelihood of being caught is high and that they look for a softer target. I know you said that there have been a violent break in, in you area, however, in most break ins a confrontation with the owner is something the intruder does not want, they just want what they came for and to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hobbitt

Odysseus wrote: »
    I would go with the lights JC, if you can add the CCTV too and of course a dog if you can; that way you have all the bases covered.

. I can’t keep a dog as I'm not during the day.

I have 2 smallish dogs who I can leave alone together all day, they are company for each other. Leaving out their hard food and water means I can go away on a Saturday morning and return on Sunday evening to a safe house.

The older one is a neutered female who is very protective of the younger male and makes a hell of a racket if anyone approaches the house.

They are very sensitive to the sound of Transit vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

onmia wrote: »
    On a side note as these men were coming on to the property the folks being worried and afraid had a little row over who to call ! Should they call the local station or 999 , they were thinking the local station as they thought it didn't warrant the 999 call. Any how when the lights came on and the lads left they didn't bother making the call.

Either number, though I'd go with 999 myself - particularly at 6am.
    Even though they were scared off the call should still have been made imho, as they probably just chose a different house to "visit". Making the call at least gives the Gardai a chance to spare someone from victimhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

While I don't place too much faith in the lights I do have one and it did kick in on one occasion. The lodger went down to get a glass of water, didn't turn the lights on but as he was in the kitchen the back light went on lighting up the entire garden and the person at the back door who promptly bailed over the wall and was gone.

had the light not been there he may well have waited and then tried the door.

(I subsequently installed CCTV so I have a nice image of him next time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

RT66 wrote: »
    Either number, though I'd go with 999 myself - particularly at 6am.

Gardai advised me to phone 112 rather than the local station. (I'm in Dublin city, I don't know if that makes a difference.)

I don't want to go totally paranoid either. Is cctv expensive? and what does it entail other than cameras?

• Advertisement
Advertisement