Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Fender MIM 2010

Options
  • 09-04-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey, I'm about to buy a Fender 2010 MIM Stratocaster, and I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers on what to look out for as to whether it's a fake or not

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why on earth would someone create a fake MIM?

Just check the serial numbers I guess. I doubt there's many out there. I could be wrong on that of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You'd be less worried about buying a fake MIM so they'd get away with it I guess, don't think I've ever seen one though.

As said, check the serial number to be sure. That'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seckz Panther

Cheers lads, I suppose your surprise that someone wouldn't bother is good news! It's just that the one I'm getting is rather cheap, but 'brand new' so it says, so I'm just worrying a bit. I'm sure it's sound though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Seen a few cases over the years of a MIM neck matched with squier body. Not many mind you tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I know if you ring Gibsom with a serial number, they will tell you the model, spec, colour and which distributor it was shipped to.. It's generally enough to give a good indication of authenticity..

Maybe Fender do the same?
    (at a minimum, if it's that new they should have receipts or proof of purchase).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's websites for fender serials but I don't know what'd happen if you rang them.

Wouldn't be mad on calling mexico just to find out if it's real mind you, you'd be paying as much even if it's fake with a phone bill like that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Don't think anybody'd really be bothered to fake a mex anyways, they tend to just do the americans.

Just out of curiosity, how cheap is cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seckz Panther

€280 essentially brand new he says

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

€280 essentially brand new he says

Ah it's not a crazy price really. Just make sure it plays well. I wouldn't worry about it being fake tbh. So long as it plays well, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's not crazy cheap, a lot of them are sold second hand for around 300 most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

I've used this for a few fenders and it was spot on.

Advertisement