Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocks for aquarium

Options
  • 09-04-2011 2:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

hi there.

im changing my aquarium completely, but cant afford the amount of rocks i wanna put into it..

so i was gonna go and collect some nice rock from somewhere. would anyone have any ideas where to get nice safe rock?

i dont really have any idea about ph levels and rock acid and calcium and stuff.

so have any of you collected some nice stone for your tank and had you any pproblems treating it? if not,, how did you treat it?

thnaks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Rocks or gravel for the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I had some slate from the garden in mine originally before changing it. Washed in hot (boiling water) to kill anything. Was fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Silverfish wrote: »
    Rocks or gravel for the bottom?

Rock, like some nice slate or shale. There is some lovely pink rock up on howth head. Would that be OK to use

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yeah I'd say so, once you'd boiled it, or soaked it for a good while.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that it was illegal to take rocks / stones from beaches, but I'm not sure, and I think that applies if you're arriving with a trailer and shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

A good tip I got was get a bucket of water, and test the PH etc. Put the rock in the bucket for a week or so and test the water again. If there are any major changes in the waters parameters perhaps best to leave it out!

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

good idea to test first alright. I have heard you can nick some from the edge of blessington lakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

thanks lads,, got some lovely ones i have to say,, have it steeping and ill test them and let yas know how it goes

Advertisement