Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about developing a garden to open to the public

Options
  • 09-04-2011 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My half acre overgrown garden is in the centre of an historic town.I want to develop it to recognise a well known historic figure and open to the public.I also have a commercial building on the site which I want to turn into visitor centre and tearooms.As well as planning ,I need any advice I can get on all aspects of day to day running etc.etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Newbies and FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

do a business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Get on to your council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Patricia28 wrote: »
    My half acre overgrown garden is in the centre of an historic town.I want to develop it to recognise a well known historic figure and open to the public.I also have a commercial building on the site which I want to turn into visitor centre and tearooms.As well as planning ,I need any advice I can get on all aspects of day to day running etc.etc.

What a very interesting idea and brave move especially within the current economic environment. Some aspects in change (opening tearooms) of use will probably be subject to planning permission. Opening the gardens to the General Public will also require that public liability insurances are in place.

You will obviously need to plan a garden layout which is sympathetic and true to the cultural and heritage of the site and location.

A business adviser may also be required to devise and manage the commercial aspects of the plan.

Wish you well and success with your endeavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I remember either reading or seeing a programme on tv about someone who done something similar. I'm sorry I have no reference as it was a few years ago and don't remember where I seen / read about it.

Basically what happened was, guy with land gave out plots to gardening students and allowed whatever college / course / scheme they were in to manage the land as part of the students course. It was private land, made into a public space and designed , planted, maintained by the students as part of their course and was also their working portfolios.

It might be worth getting in touch with local (or national) colleges / community groups. Basically you get free labour in return for them getting the free work space to develop and maintain the grounds as part of their studies.

If I remember the particular project I'll post again but in the mean time it might be worth getting in touch with some organisations and see if you can work something out. You end up with fantastic planted and maintained grounds and they get to practice their skills outside of the lecture hall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question which sprung to mind - do you want to open your garden to the public as a garden, or do you want to make the land open to the public?

if the former, you've potentially several years wait for the garden to mature if it's in need of a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Patricia28

You will obviously need to plan a garden layout which is sympathetic and true to the cultural and heritage of the site and location.

A business adviser may also be required to devise and manage the commercial aspects of the plan.

Thank you for helpful advice...will take this on board,.....

This is worth following up,all suggestions very helpful.
    Just in the thinking stage at the moment but I can start on researching student participation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Can I ask what county you are based?

If starting to clear site this Summer and get planting soon after,would I have a worthwhile colourful garden to open next summer?
    Also,the budget may extend to buying some mature trees to give an established look but the main impact would be a riot of colour....is this possible?
    I do'nt want to bring in a garden designer just yet...I would like to hear more ideas coming through here.
    I want to open the garden to the paying public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have read your comment about the 'paying public' in that you will be charging them entry into the garden; is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Patricia, it would be worth visitng some other gardens to get ideas re design - esp places that do that kind of thing like the National Garden Exhibition centre, Powerscourt, and other paying gardens.

Also it's worth considering the theme - if it's something to celebrate a local celebrity/hero then use a theme from that person - I'm from percy french country for instance so imagine a garden themed for one of his songs and images from the songs.....

Sounds exciting, but if you plant something this summer it will still be fairly 'new' next spring unless you do buy very mature shrubs/bushes/trees, which of course cost far more. I would get the tea room going to fund the garden and set up some sort of small museum to your celebrity to get the visitors in in the meantime (ok more money)....

best of luck, sorry can't help with the whole planning thing but would suggest sussing out someone in your area (eg local county councillor) to find out about it and pitch the fact you'd be creating employment because you'll have people helping build and maintain the garden and the tearoom, never mind the supplies you'd be bringing in. Also contact enterprise ireland, there might be some grants available for local business?

best of luck

Advertisement