Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vhi cancellation [Issue with broker not cancelling]

Options
  • 09-04-2011 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

i transferred to aviva. they said they would cancel my policy so i believed them. payments kept coming out of wages to vhi...tried to ring but of course no answer on several occasions. Long story short, eventually got through and vhi have said only I can cancel my policy and so they owe me nothing as i was still covered. have I any recourse - would aviva have a responsibility here or anyone any similar problems - down 150 euro!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

that is unfair to you. get on to the consumer authority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Who is Aviva told you they would cancel your Vhi? I transferred with them recently and no where does it say they will cancel it. They give you a guide on how to cancel it alright.

If you look at Aviva's website they clearly state that:

http://tools.avivahealth.ie/individual_and_family/comparison_tool/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

sorry...i cut out a few details...it wasn't aviva that told me. It was my broker [cornmarket]. He said that he would cancel my policy with vhi for me.He definitely said this. When I rang vhi today the lady said only I personally can cancel - noone else. He told me to give a ring aswel but I couldn't get through to vhi any time I rang because it was at the time of the price increase and lines were jammed. I emailed about 4 weeks later when money had continued to come out of my wages.
    I now see that I should have been looking after my own business and made sure i emailed...but its not my fault that their phonelines are jammed.!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

All insurance companies are regulated by the Central Bank. If you're getting nowhere, I'd contact them about making a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

mick kk wrote: »
    sorry...i cut out a few details...it wasn't aviva that told me. It was my broker [cornmarket]. He said that he would cancel my policy with vhi for me.

Politely let him know that you're out of 150 now because he failed to cancel it and/or failed to make it clear that you should cancel it.
    See what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If your broker told you incorectly that he would (could) cancel your policy, it is the brokers responsability to refund you for the error. Unfortunatly this is not an uncommen complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

The onus in on an individual to cancel the existing policy and VHI are correct to say that only you can.

Cornmarket may have helped you by sending in the cancellation letter to VHI which may have got lost when they were snowed under. Get a copy of the letter and send to VHI and check your phone bill to prove that you called 1850444444 to cancel and they may help.

I personally do not take the responsibilty to cancel existing VHI policies because their word against yours.

Would you hold Airtricity or Bord Gais responsible for not making necessary switch from ESb or Sky, UPC, Vodafone or 3 or o2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

It seems to be an issue with the broker, so that's who I would be following up with if I were in your position.

Firstly though, make sure that your VHI policy is cancelled, assuming you wish to continue your Aviva policy.

Secondly, if the broker told you over the telephone that he would cancel the policy for you, see if you can get a copy of the telephone call to confirm that is what was said. Their website says that telephone calls may be recorded, and under the data protection acts you're entitled to a copy of these calls, if yours was recorded. It helps matters if you can give Cornmarket the date and approximate time.

Alternatively, if you were told in writing that the broker would cancel the cover, then I'd be asking them why that wasn't followed up and how quickly they'll cover your out of pocket expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

thanks - i will post during the week to let you all know what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

All insurance companies are regulated by the Central Bank. If you're getting nowhere, I'd contact them about making a complaint

VHI is not regulated by the Central Bank for health insurance only for travel insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement