Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE & The Tag Team Division

Options
  • 09-04-2011 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so we all have asked the question as to why they do not bother with it, but in the last while I have been watching a few matches and really cannot understand why WWE do not tap into this market.

ROH or example run entire shows based on tags, and almost the majority of their big shows are tags, Dragongate have perfected the 6 man tag, hell, even TNA have a healthy tag division.

Question I ask is not what tag teams WWE could currently push, rather, why ignore this type of match altogether given the entertainment it provides? Its not like their singles guys are 5 starring it every week afterall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I agree , its sad to see how devalued the tag division has become in recent years. Look back to the great matches the Hardys , Dudleys and Edge and Christian had in the early 00s , alot more emphasis seemed to be put on tag wrestling back then and to hold the belts actually meant something.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In my view it's a symptom of the weak main event scene. They are so desperate to find the next big main event singles guy that they turn all their attention towards that area. The irony is that many of their big stars have come from a background in tag wrestling and I reckon if they had a stronger tag team picture it would make it easier for them to find the next breakout singles guy.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think I said in the thread on this a few weeks ago that Vince has never really put that much consistent effort into the tag titles for a long period. He obviously thinks they aren't a draw. It seems to go through high points and low points, but often the high points happen by accident. The Hardyz and E&C happened by accident. They were in a nothing, low card feud and then had that awesome ladder match. That fell into their lap and they had to run with it. The Dudleys arrived around the same time and that feud saved them too.

The tag titles always seem to either be awesome or completely unimportant. Which is odd when you consider the likes of Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Scott Steiner etc all came from tag teams.

Sad thing is that within their own talent and with the tag teams worldwide, there could be an awesome tag team division. I'd love something like a tag title tournament with a final on a major PPV to bring back some prestige to the titles. In dreamworld, I'd love Vince to both get the chequebook out and admit the indies/TNA can be useful and get Beer Money, AJ Styles/Fallen Angel, MCMG, the Briscoes etc.

Any title tournament could link up with Japan and Mexico as well and get some tag teams in for one or two night deals to sell it as the most prestigious tag team title in the world. Much like they did with the old Light Heavy Weight title by getting in the Great Sasuke for a short term deal.

A few tag teams with gimmicks beyond 2 generic guys in black tights teaming up for no particular reason would be good too. Sheamus and Drew in the Celtic Connection wouldn't be a bad idea either! You need a killer, kick-ass tag team a la the Road Warriors or Dudleys in every great tag division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone hate that wwe mix two wrestlers Music & expect us to take that as a tag team.They have been doing this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

gimmick wrote: »
    Question I ask is not what tag teams WWE could currently push, rather, why ignore this type of match altogether given the entertainment it provides? Its not like their singles guys are 5 starring it every week afterall.

The question of why they ignore it is particularly puzzling since for their singles scene they're always more than happy to have multi-man matches so you get many tripe threats and 4-ways and not to mention the massive 10 man Money in the Bank ladder matches.

Perhaps it's the desire to invest in only one wrestler rather than two where if you're investing in a tag team then the whole project goes down the swanny should one of them get in trouble, drop out, do drugs, act the arse...

I really don't know. It's been a really really long time since there was a vibrant tag scene give or take the odd one here and there. The 2002 Smackdown Six perhaps?

I agree with what the point on mixing music is getting at - this thing where they just throw two singles guys in a tag for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

gimmick wrote: »
    Ok, so we all have asked the question as to why they do not bother with it, but in the last while I have been watching a few matches and really cannot understand why WWE do not tap into this market.

ROH or example run entire shows based on tags, and almost the majority of their big shows are tags, Dragongate have perfected the 6 man tag, hell, even TNA have a healthy tag division.

The answer that has long been given is that it is cheaper to pay 2 wrestlers instead of 4.

Also I remember reading that Vince may think that it is too Southern rasslin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone hate that wwe mix two wrestlers Music & expect us to take that as a tag team.They have been doing this for years.

Or mix two wrestlers name like Jerishow, Showmiz or Laycool. About 2% of thought goes into putting a tag team together nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

One thing that has really annoyed me in recent years is that they have broken up solid tag-teams prematurely - particularly Primo and Carlito and The Hart Dynasty, and they done nothing with any of those guys post break-up.

The Miz and John Morrison improved massively when they teamed up. They have a lot of lower card guys who could benefit from establishing themselves in a strong tag division, but it seems to be something that Vince has little interest in. As previously mentioned, Edge/Christian, Hardys, Dudleys came about by accident, plus Miz/Morrison and New Age Outlaws formed on lower priority shows, while the SmackDown era of Edge/Rey, Guerreros, WGTT, Benoit/Jericho was under Paul Heymans watch. I can't see the tag division becoming anything like a priority for the foreseeable future.

I miss tag teams :( What is worse , is when a tag team is half decent , they first thought is, split them up and lets have 2 mediocre single wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As said before, I think maybe they should do an Nxt season for tag teams

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As said before, I think they should do an Nxt season for tag teams

Thats actually a great idea .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As said before, I think maybe they should do an Nxt season for tag teams

now that i might actually watch - as long as they're not carrying kegs or that sh1t - who actually books what happens on NXT?

should be fired - its woeful painful television - started off so promisingly and all.

Advertisement