Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 on Mac

Options
  • 08-04-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Has anybody done it?

I am loving the new IMac but was just wondering how simple it was to bang in a copy of Windows to have the best of bolt worlds.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very easy. Just open Bootcamp in the Utilities folder with your copy of Windows ready and follow the onscreen instructions. It will install Windows onto a separate partition which you can choose by holding option on startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Very easy. Just open Bootcamp in the Utilities folder with your copy of Windows ready and follow the onscreen instructions. It will install Windows onto a separate partition which you can choose by holding option on startup.
    If you want to run both at once pick up a copy of Parallels and as much RAM as you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Virtualbox for free and bang in as many versions of windows as you want, run different versions at the same time. make a snapshot and if you screw it up roll back.

I even have a copy of xp that is there to collect viruses and crap - i have to rollback is it is already thrashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I don't play games on computer and I suppose the question is my would I do it?

Answer because I like to mess with things and I can.

If you dont play games and dont do heavy video editing then use Virtualbox as its free and takes minimal effort to setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

If you dont play games and dont do heavy video editing then use Virtualbox as its free and takes minimal effort to setup.
    If you're doing heavy video editing you wouldn't be going near Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

rivalius13 wrote: »
    If you're doing heavy video editing you wouldn't be going near Windows.

thats not exactly true but whatever

I have windows 7 installed through parallels crystal view(i think its called) is a joy to use basically you can use all the windows programmes but they just come up in a window as if they are running through osx, very smooth

PeakOutput wrote: »
    thats not exactly true but whatever

I have windows 7 installed through parallels crystal view(i think its called) is a joy to use basically you can use all the windows programmes but they just come up in a window as if they are running through osx, very smooth

Only been using Mac OS for 3 days now and I am getting to like it fast.
    For what I use I can not think of a single thing I need Windows for.

I just like messing around with computers.

However I think I will keep my Mac clean and Windows free.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Only been using Mac OS for 3 days now and I am getting to like it fast.
    For what I use I can not think of a single thing I need Windows for.

I just like messing around with computers.

However I think I will keep my Mac clean and Windows free.

Ye you are dead right, I had macs for 4 years before needing to install windows a few weeks ago. windows 7 appears to be far better then xp and vista but there is still no risk of me changing back any time soon. I am sure I will have a windows machine in the next year but it will only be because I will need something that can do fast and automatic video editing and so farI havnt found a solution for that on mac, otherwise I wouldnt bother

Ye you are dead right, I had macs for 4 years before needing to install windows a few weeks ago. windows 7 appears to be far better then xp and vista but there is still no risk of me changing back any time soon. I am sure I will have a windows machine in the next year but it will only be because I will need something that can do fast and automatic video editing and so farI havnt found a solution for that on mac, otherwise I wouldnt bother

Update the Mac can take an XBOX 360 controller I found the drivers online and emulators do work on it.

Also the Mouse does have a right click you just need to turn it on.

• Advertisement

Virtualbox keeps Windows sandboxed - so you can mess with Windows and keep SL clean.

The more I use win7 the more I like it - I wouldnt switch or even bother dual booting but it is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I've had Windows 7 installed on an iMac through Parallels for just 11 months now. Mainly use W7 for OE and some other minor stuff. Was hoping to do Video editing through Pinnacle Studio, but Parallels doesn't recognise the firewire port.

There's no doubt that Mac OS is a faster, cleaner system.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I've had Windows 7 installed on an iMac through Parallels for just 11 months now. Mainly use W7 for OE and some other minor stuff. Was hoping to do Video editing through Pinnacle Studio, but Parallels doesn't recognise the firewire port.

There's no doubt that Mac OS is a faster, cleaner system.

what is that?

what is that?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

W7 for OE

THIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Mainly use W7 for OE and some other minor stuff.

He means what is OE. The first thing I thought of was Outlook Express.

Padgeman wrote: »

Yep - that's it.

Padgeman wrote: »

ye that is what I meant I couldnt figure out what it was, thanks

Advertisement