Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket - Wisden players of the year

Options
  • 08-04-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

I heard today that Eoin Morgan is likely to be one of the 4 Wisden cricketers of the year when book is published shortly. Only 4 this year as it is thought one of the banned Pakistani players would have been the fifth.

Is the honour deserved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Mongarra wrote: »
    I heard today that Eoin Morgan is likely to be one of the 4 Wisden cricketers of the year when book is published shortly. Only 4 this year as it is thought one of the banned Pakistani players would have been the fifth.

Is the honour deserved?
    here is an article from the telegraph on the Wisden
    Yes the honour is deserved as he has proved that he is one of the best players to ever play limited overs cricket for england in a very shorrt period

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

How can you prove you are
    one of the best players to ever play limited overs cricket for england in a very shorrt period

???

Anyone can have a good year or two. Being one of the best ever surely means having to prove your sustainability and keep producing over long periods of time.

Was it deserved? I don't know. The fact Chris Read is in there too baffles me. A decent county season makes him one of the best 5 players in the world for the last year? Eh, No.

To be honest it's a horrible list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

crackit wrote: »
    How can you prove you are

ormond lad wrote: »
    one of the best players to ever play limited overs cricket for england in a very shorrt period

???

Anyone can have a good year or two. Being one of the best ever surely means having to prove your sustainability and keep producing over long periods of time.

Was it deserved? I don't know. The fact Chris Read is in there too baffles me. A decent county season makes him one of the best 5 players in the world for the last year? Eh, No.

To be honest it's a horrible list.
    Morgan being one of the best ever was a quote in a newspaper article that announced the winners.
    I agree to be one of the best you have to prove that you are at the top of the game and play the best over a long period of time and morgan hasnt been on the scene long enough to do that
    but 1 of the pakistanis was meant to be in the 5 but Because cricketer found guilty of corruption.a Pakistan player from omitted the wisden cricketer

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

I think people are getting a bit carried away with what Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year actually is.

They are picked "by the Editor, and the selection is based, primarily but not exclusively, on the players' influence on the previous English season."

So Morgan was probably right being there, as was Read (and Amir for that matter). It's got nothing to do with a player's place in history, his ranking in the world game, or even how good he is really.

Going through the last few years, I can find one of my heroes, Mark Alleyne (2001) along with Ian Austin (1999), Nigel Briers and Ian Salisbury (1993), John Childs (1987), David Hughes (!!! - 1988), Phil Bainbridge (1986), Trevor Jesty (1983), Peter Lee (1976),......(I won't keep going).

Plenty of decent pros who had a good season (or even a good county career), but none of them even greats. It's even a bit difficult to work out whether there has been an Irish player chosen, as it get's pretty obscure towards the begining - Harry Calder (Cranleigh Schools, Old Cranleighans and Surrey 2nd XI - 1918) anyone?

Saying that there aren't too many great players who don't get it. Who's the best not to? Graham Pollock?

Edit - Thanks to @charlieconnolly and @siggo. RM Poore (1900). Born in Carysfort House and complete nutcase by all accounts

Advertisement