Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligations to potential supervisors

Options
  • 08-04-2011 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi guys,

im trying to sort out a science phd for myself at the moment, and I am currently applying for a grant with a lecturer in my department, the results of which we won't find out until approx June. I had also being talking to other lecturers earlier in the year, who all said get back to me around april when most of the grant awards are announced.

so basically, im just wondering what the etiquette is here. can i accept an offer from a lecturer, even if i already have a grant application in with a different supervisor? or must i commit to one provisionally?

any info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I'd say go for it, if the first lecturer you applied with is taking his time getting back to you then I don't see why you can't try to guarantee a postgraduate spot with another lecturer, assuming you want to work with them in that particular field.

You can't wait for what might happen. You could end up with nothing. Even if you have the offer you can at least have some peace of mind.

Advertisement