Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my degree recognised by the Washington Accord

Options
  • 08-04-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I completed a Beng in Civil Engineering and Construction Management from the University of Edinburgh in 2006 and was wondering is it accredited under the Washington Accord. I have tried the following website:http://www.engc.org.uk/education--skills/accreditation/accredited-course-search but all it tells me is "further Learning required from 2000 intake" which does not fill me full of confidence. I am thinking of applying for an Australian visa and this is a crucial piece of information for the application process.
    I would be extremely grateful for any and all help in this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Engineering Council is the Washington Accord (Chartered Engineers) signatory for the UK, but they get accreditation info from the Joint Board of Moderators - see the "Accredited By - JBM" next to their listing. If you go the JBM accreditation page, they have lists of which degrees are certified for what. For Chartered Engineer they want you to have a 5-year MEng(Hons), while your 4-year degree is on the "Accredited Courses for CEng with Further Learning (FL)" list, and qualifies for Incorporated Engineer.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hashflip

Thanks for that, so in other words a masters degree is recognised by the Washington Accord as opposed to a honours degree which is recognised by the Sydney Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not exactly. The Washington Accord doesn't recognise degrees directly, the national signatory does that, then the Washington Accord recognises them. The Engineering Council decided that a MEng was required for Chartered status. Ireland's going the same way for graduates from 2013 onwards.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement