Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble waking new iMac from sleep mode

Options
  • 08-04-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

As the title states I've been having some trouble waking my 2 month old 21" iMac from sleep mode. It's done it about 4 times now and I'm just wondering have any other members experience of this and how they resolved it. Have googled the question and looked on a few international mac forums but would appreciate an Irish perspective as my only option appears to be contacting Apple something I've not had to do before. Thanks in advance for any help:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Could be any number of problems. Have you installed any RAM? Have you any third party devices connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

No I've not made any memory upgrades and the only things connected to the computer are wireless keyboard and mouse that came with it. Have checked batteries on both. Also when it won't wake from sleep mode I've tried pressing the case key to see does the light come on and it doesn't. No other wireless devices to interfere with signal either except my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 which I sync off the iMac bout once a week. Seen a few posts of people with new iMacs on other forums having same issue and having to return it to Apple but always stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had the same problem with a new 21.5" iMac, purchased last October. I phoned Apple and a guy told me to reset the BIOS by puling out the power cord from the back of the screen and holding down the power button for nn seconds, I think it temporarily fixed the problem but it soon came back, I just don't bother using sleep anymore, I just shutdown instead.

The whole experience brought home to me how poor the documentation for the iMac is and when you go to the 'support' website most of what you find there are users discussing among themselves how to fix problems with Apple products.

You're on your own.

coylemj wrote: »
    I had the same problem with a new 21.5" iMac, purchased last October. I phoned Apple and a guy told me to reset the BIOS by puling out the power cord from the back of the screen and holding down the power button for nn seconds, I think it temporarily fixed the problem but it soon came back, I just don't bother using sleep anymore, I just shutdown instead.

The whole experience brought home to me how poor the documentation for the iMac is and when you go to the 'support' website most of what you find there are users discussing among themselves how to fix problems with Apple products.

You're on your own.
    That's how I fix it aswell. There's absolutely no way I'm going to start just shutting down though defeats the point of owning a mac IMO. I was specifically told "you dont need to shut this down like a windows computer" Thanks for the reply coylemj. I'm going to give Apple a
    ring today and will post up how I get on

Do, I'd be interested to know how you got on backthephilup

• Advertisement

Rang Apple tech support Ireland 1850 946191 and got the following solution
    Apple menu>System preferences>Energy saver>uncheck all boxes except awake for network access>schedule>Apple menu>restart
    Working perfect now:) and guy was very polite and helpfull.
    Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same issue. Thanks to everyone who posted

Advertisement