Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Monitors ?

Options
  • 08-04-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

Do many of the Brothers use multiple monitors ?

I was speaking to a boards member recently about a track he's recorded - I felt the bass was to 'low' i.e it's dominant energy was in the very low octave that wouldn't convert onto smaller speakers.

It's a problem I've had myself recently where a bass player had a great sounding bass but as the song verses only had drums and bass it was important that the bass be heard ... even on playback on an iPhone , otherwise all you'd heard would be drums and vocals.

I found using multiple smaller speakers of various qualities helped clarify that issue - think of them as 'band passed' .

I recently acquired a pair of Avantones to help that process.

207253_153773514686421_140573246006448_365613_7914197_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yup. genelec 8050, mackie 824 mk1, some old active prodipes and some stereo speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I was speaking to a boards member recently about a track he's recorded - I felt the bass was to 'low' i.e it's dominant energy was in the very low octave that wouldn't convert onto smaller speakers.
    That was me re this track:
    http://soundcloud.com/trackmixstudio/i-phoenix-tremors
    Paul gave me a great "fresh ears" perspective on the mix.
    The problem was that the bassist used a stingray for the track.
    I used to have a stingray as the studio house bass but this problem always manifested itself. I have since switched to an american p bass and it's much better. The problem with a stingray is its lack of mids. They have beautiful low end and present top end but fúck all in the midrange.
    I really know and trust my Focal Twins and always check a mix on my Sen HD250 cans (they emphasize sibilance) so don't feel the need for extra speakers. I may grab a set of the behringer avatone ripoffs when they are available though.
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C5A.aspx
    PS I thought you were using focal twins too Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

focal solos
    and ns10s

the 3 band dual Humbucker stingray has no mid problem ,
    im surprised at this - bernard edwards had a pretty middy sound on the single stingray ?

in fact the bridge setting is very middy .

but i agree the fenders have a default middy sound ,

nice recording by the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I had some Twins here for a while ok.

Sen HD250 cans (they emphasize sibilance) so don't feel the need for extra speakers. I may grab a set of the behringer avatone ripoffs when they are available though.
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C5A.aspx/QUOTE]

I use the computer speakers for the same thing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭goatboy1000

A pair of ATC SCM100's, a pair of Genelec 8020's and a crappy set of pc speakers from Lidl.
    I'm finding lately that I'm getting a better mix listening on the 8020's, which is a little bit worrying..

There's some bark off those big ATCs !

They're not really a 'have on all day' speaker though are they ?
    What's driving them ?

They're each powered by their own external amp - 'ATC SCM series Triamplifier' to quote it exactly, except for SCM20A's for the surrounds and an SCM0.1-15 for the sub.
    We had them tuned last year and I'm finding it harder than it used to be to get a mix to sound nice on them. But when it does, it usually translates well anywhere else.

How big is the room Goat ? Who tuned it ?

Big enough room, about 20'x14'. An old Munro room too, early 90's. Monitors tuned by Nick Whitaker.

• Advertisement

I think I recognize that name - If I'm right he designed Simon Gogerly's room near Luton who did the last Underworld album.

He knows the craic alright. http://nickwhitaker.net/Home.html
    We were finding the ATC's to be really bright for some reason so the mixes were sounding quite dull on most other monitors.
    No reason to have a bad mix on a good set of monitors in a Munro room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

If you want to see what it will sound like on an I-phone, play back on a I-phone.

If you're going to have a piece where everything drops out apart from the bass and little else, you should put some top and middle that isn't in the rest of the track. Even the cheapest set of home stereo speakers will give you more than an I-phone. Low basses will vanish completely.

I can think of lots of tracks where it's just the bass and drums - the bass is usually give lots of top, so it will sound over Spar shop stereos and tinny speakers.

what freq ranges are we talking on the bass to keep its groove ve on thin speakers ? somewhere from 2 to 6 K ?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Normally the mids on a bass are about 800-2k. There is very little over 4k

yeah iwas thinking that , thats why i asked , was a bit confused

thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sprig

We mix a lot of afro music and a lot of dub here at sprig and i was wondering about subs...
    currently our monitor setup is three way using
    Alessis M1 , Storm SAM1 actives ( for our radio show)
    and berringher 2030a truths as another mix option..
    I guess i do need to put in some kind of a sub system, would love some good xover and sub recomendations, What are people using out there for this?

Thoughts are most welcome..
    One love
    DF

Advertisement