Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Siemens Gigaset A580 IP

Options
  • 07-04-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Word of warning to others: the current batch is faulty due to bad firmware and cannot be repaired (has to be replaced). Siemens has 4-5 week waiting time for this for UK, though in Ireland it may be slightly longer.

Amazon are still shipping these. I have sent mine back to be replaced. After I rang Siemens they told me this would the quickest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBGW7U

I just hope Amazon don't send me another of the faulty batch, their returns process is so automated I doubt my return note was even viewed by a human :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

Define "faulty" in this context?

'cos I just got one from Blueface ... and superficially it seems so far to work fine?

Anything to look out for?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Word of warning to others: the current batch is faulty due to bad firmware and cannot be repaired (has to be replaced). Siemens has 4-5 week waiting time for this for UK, though in Ireland it may be slightly longer.

Amazon are still shipping these. I have sent mine back to be replaced. After I rang Siemens they told me this would the quickest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBGW7U

I just hope Amazon don't send me another of the faulty batch, their returns process is so automated I doubt my return note was even viewed by a human :eek:

If you found you received faulty goods, you are intitled to a full refund (not a credit note etc.) , if they haven't sent you another one, you can still request one. You can talk to amazon by going to the following address and entering your order ID etc. and click 'call us'.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=471044&type=email&mode=&skip=true

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

liamf wrote: »
    Define "faulty" in this context?

'cos I just got one from Blueface ... and superficially it seems so far to work fine?

Anything to look out for?

I can't show you now, because it was sent back. But it will not accept input of any VOIP providers on the web interface. I understand this is because some units were sold locked to a particular provider (Tesco?) and basically the firmware that locked subsidised unit was applied to all other units.

The firmware change couldn't be undone remotely, nor would they give instructions on how to reflash. They are getting the units returned to them. Apparently it's just the base station (the handset configures it), and the handset is useless without a working base station.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

OK thanks

This definitely does not apply to the basestation I got.

I have it happily VoIPing all over the place

Cheers
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

liamf wrote: »
    OK thanks

This definitely does not apply to the basestation I got.

I have it happily VoIPing all over the place

Cheers
    Liam

I received a replacement and it works. Happy days :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement