Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Grooming

Options
  • 07-04-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Id really love to do a course in animal care or animal grooming. I recently done a taster course (1 day) in a dog grooming parlour and loved it. I love animals and have always wanted to work with them.

Does anybody know of any animal care courses or animal grooming courses in North Tipperary, Kilkenny or Limerick.

Id also like to get some experience with a groomer in the evenings or at weekends. So if anyone knows of any pet groomers in North Tipperary, or in the Kilkenny area that may/would take on someone for experience id appreciate it if you could leave me a comment.

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm doing Animal Welfare/Grooming courses at the moment. But this is at St John's College in Cork. There was a thread about the same subject some time ago. One person did say they were doing a grooming course online, but can't remember where. I'll try to find the thread for you.

Try asking at your local vet for details of groomers in your area. Groomers often advertise at the vet's so it should be fairly easy to get hold of one.

If you're doing a grooming course, then you need lots of dogs for a portfolio, so start asking your friends and family!:D

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Fiddler

Thanks ABajaninCork.

What is the course in Cork like? I have read about it from the college prospectus. Is the work experience part of the course one day a week or is it block release? Do the classes run from 9-5?

Id rather not do an online course as i feel with this type of job you need to do the practical along with the theory and not just the theory on its own!!

ATM I'm doing one day a week for my first year. It's for about three hours and is either an afternoon or evening course.

Your best bet is to call the college direct and have a word. The classes start again in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Ormonde College in Kilkenny does a year long Animal Care course that might suit you.

Wisco wrote: »
    Ormonde College in Kilkenny does a year long Animal Care course that might suit you.

This sounds good!!

Do you know much about this course? Is it hard to accepted on to the course? Is it a good course? Is the work experience one day a week or block release? Do the classes run 9-5?

• Advertisement

ATM I'm doing one day a week for my first year. It's for about three hours and is either an afternoon or evening course.

Your best bet is to call the college direct and have a word. The classes start again in September.

Sorry, Do you mean the work experience is about three hours a day or the classes??

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I think the Ormonde College one is a full day (9-5) and as far as I know they do one day per week on work experience.
    I gave a lecture on animal first aid for it, but am not sure of the overall level of knowledge required for the rest of the course. My advice would be to see if you can find someone who's completed it (maybe a Facebook group?) or contact the college directly for more info.
    I was speaking to someone looking to do a similar course in Carlow IT who said there are lots of applicants for these types of courses, so I'd also ask the college if doing things like volunteer work (ie, with your local pound or stables, etc) might help you get accepted.

Sorry, Do you mean the work experience is about three hours a day or the classes??

I meant my classes were for three hours! That's for the first year, and you have to provide a portfolio of four dogs only. The next year, you have to do the work experience AND provide the portfolio of 30 dogs. Think the course is two years to be a fully qualified groomer.

Advertisement