Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance

Options
  • 07-04-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi!just looking for information on this course on students who have done it or are doing it at the moment?I know there's one thread on it but it's not great!
    Also,I'm doing pass maths does this course invole difficult maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Hi!just looking for information on this course on students who have done it or are doing it at the moment?I know there's one thread on it but it's not great!
    Also,I'm doing pass maths does this course invole difficult maths?

Hey. I'm a first year. Tbh there is a good bit of maths in the course. Every module we have involves different levels of maths - some a bit complex! They do start everything from the basics though. A few who have done pass maths say they are kind of struggling.. Just gotta put in the work I suppose!
    The course overall so far is fairly interesting... We have a module called Business Finance which is the only really very stimulating one. Deals with investments by both firms and by the individual! The rest are just economics and accounting..

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

econometrics will be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Thanks for the replies!if you're getting a's and b's in pass Maths surely with a bit of work it would be fairly manageable?

Thanks for the replies!if you're getting a's and b's in pass Maths surely with a bit of work it would be fairly manageable?

Ah yeah it would I'd say. Like people who have done accounting, economics and honours maths have an advantage for a while but they do start everything from the start so you should be fine. There's like an open day in UCC Thursday I'm sure?? If you want to ask current Finance students in person I'm sure the college will have some around the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Cillerz wrote: »
    Ah yeah it would I'd say. Like people who have done accounting, economics and honours maths have an advantage for a while but they do start everything from the start so you should be fine. There's like an open day in UCC Thursday I'm sure?? If you want to ask current Finance students in person I'm sure the college will have some around the place..

Hey
    Finance is my first choice on the cao and was wondering if the leaving cert economics and first year economics in finance is similar?

• Advertisement

Hey
    Finance is my first choice on the cao and was wondering if the leaving cert economics and first year economics in finance is similar?

Best of luck!
    Well in First Year you have three economic modules (modules are like subjects in secondary school). One is pure maths - they take it very slow but it is like honours maths in the leaving with differentiation and matrices and stuff. One is "Data Collection and Analysis" which deals with the calculation of data and what it all means. The other is my favourite economics module and does deal with demand, supply, elasticity and markets like in the leaving (going into more detail) but it also has some other things, the most interesting called Uncovered Interest Rate Parity which involves making money risk free on different interest rates in different areas. Really good stuff:)
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Cillerz wrote: »
    Best of luck!
    Well in First Year you have three economic modules (modules are like subjects in secondary school). One is pure maths - they take it very slow but it is like honours maths in the leaving with differentiation and matrices and stuff. One is "Data Collection and Analysis" which deals with the calculation of data and what it all means. The other is my favourite economics module and does deal with demand, supply, elasticity and markets like in the leaving (going into more detail) but it also has some other things, the most interesting called Uncovered Interest Rate Parity which involves making money risk free on different interest rates in different areas. Really good stuff:)
    Hope that helps!

Yep it does. :D thank you

can't wait for it next year (as long as I get the points that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Went to the open day with the school last week..it was **** got no info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Went to the open day with the school last week..it was **** got no info

Email the department directly. I've always found the Finance lecturers to be some of the best I've dealt with.

Advertisement