Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one use a cooler with their macbook?

Options
  • 07-04-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Recently I have taken to watching tv shows back to back on Youtube. Sometimes for an hour and half or so. Obviously enough, my macbook pro feels like it's on fire after a while. Anyone else heat theirs up this much? Should I get a cooler/fan thing to help and avoid any problems down the road? Or is there nothing to worry about? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Make sure your MacBook is on a smooth, flat surface. A metal tray is ideal.

I seem to recall that some MacBooks did suffer from overheating because of an internal fault. It was covered under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭timefora_J

Bought these for my macbook :

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/coolfeet/

Mine is the older black macbook so flash videos make it sound like its gonna take off. I use the click to flash extension for safari so if the video on youtube is available in H.264 format it will load that instead. Helps alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

timefora_J wrote: »

Mine is the older black macbook so flash videos make it sound like its gonna take off. I use the click to flash extension for safari so if the video on youtube is available in H.264 format it will load that instead. Helps alot.

I have a two year old 13" pro and have the latest safari and chrome on it. How do I do what you suggest, where do I get that extension? Haven't heard of that but if it would help. Also it can get so hot that I can't imagine using those feet things making much of a difference. I don't think that it is that starved for air but maybe the cooler pushing air around might help. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will have a look around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

timefora_J wrote: »

if you use chrome you can use the html5 version of the site so you wont have to deal with flash at all, should reduce the load on the laptop somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Opt into the HTML5 trial on YouTube. That way, it will use HTML4 with h264 video codec. No more flash heating up your MacBook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The macbook pros (2010 ones anyway) get very hot even for just video and the likes compared to the plastic macbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Mine only gets hot if I play Flash video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It gets hot whenever its using 50-60% or more of the cpu, when on your lap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The macbook pros (2010 ones anyway) get very hot even for just video and the likes compared to the plastic macbooks.
    This is a good thing. It might feel hotter but internally it's a lot cooler. The aluminium conducts heat to the surface allowing it to disperse, where as the plastic acts as an insulator which just causes the internal components to get hotter.

I use an mStand with my MBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could have sworn it was common knowledge at this stage but.... if you fancy having kids at some point, don't put it on your lap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ Indeed. :D There's a reason that computer manufacturers call them "notebooks" and not "laptops" anymore. In fact, if you were to call up Apple, HP, whoever, they'd tell you that they are not designed to be used on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

First, apologies about using the term laptop, just a habit and no I do not put it on my lap anyway. As an update, I did get a cooler thing by Targus yesterday that I am really happy with. I feel that it can't do any harm by giving a bit of cooling help and because of the form factor, it makes my notebook much more comfortable to use and the screen has been raised a bit too, which I like also.
    So yeah, happy days. Thanks for your replies. Now back to Angry Birds study.

Advertisement