Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a phone... HELP!!!

Options
  • 07-04-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

It's my first time to get a phone unlocked and I'm practically clueless.
    Going into town the weekend (Dublin), so like what happens?
    Do you hand it in or do you wait while you get it done?
    Do they do in in the backroom or at the counter?
    Should it cost much?

Sorry for some probably obvious questions, i just don't have anyone to ask about it.

Thanks for any help, I'm really in the dark about all this.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It all depends on the phone. Usually you just hand it in and get it done there and then infront of you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What model is it?

Have you asked your network for the unlock code?

It just takes a few minutes yes while you wait

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niq

It's a Samsung Galaxy Europa.

What do they actually do to unlock it? Is it something to do with the phone or SIM card or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Unfortunately, yes to both.
    The amount of credit I need to spend, i'll be well over a year waiting for a code...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

No, Meteor. :(
    Anywhere in Dublin city centre is easy enough... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Moore street, back of the Ilac shopping centre where all the fruit markets are.. There are about 10 phone unlocking shops in that vicinity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If you can, you should bring another (different network) sim card with you.
    That way you can be sure that the phone really is unlocked. It's not that hard for a crap unlocker to put a meteor sticker on an O2 sim for example;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tractortom

If you have a good credit rating with your carrier and you are near the end of your contract ask them for a Network Unlock Code (NUC). It is the best and most permanent unlock, and it doesn't affect the warranty of your phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement