Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

msc sports management

Options
  • 07-04-2011 7:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hei everyone!

i got into this masters degree at ucd and i dont know much about it. is anyone in this course at present or graduated it or know someone who graduated etc? i would really like to find out a bit more before i decide...

- how are the job prospects? do graduates get good payd jobs and do they have to look for a long time?

- how is the course itself? i know it is organised in block weeks, but is it very demanding? how is the academic standard? what is the reputation on this degree in ireland?

if anyone could give me some feedback i would be really glad!!!

thank you!
    marc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Bump!

In the same boat as Marc, looking for any info on the course, job prospects etc..Have been conditionally offered the course. Any info much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Donegal_11

Same as that folks! The information on their website is quite vague! Seems like a great course though! Bernard Jackman completed it last year.

Hi folks, I am undertaking the above course in UCD this September. I'm finding it very hard to get additional information on the course.

Do lectures not finish until 5 every Friday?

I know Bernard Jackman did this course last year, and Karl Henry has a BSc in the course. I was talking to a few, and past students have jobs with the FAI, GAA, Coaching Ireland, Leinster Rugby etc..

Just wondering if any past graduates have any comments to make about the course! Haven't heard anything negative at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thread merged with existing one on same topic.

As far as I know with the lectures we have to do 4 or 5 modules each semester, these are then taught in week long blocks so we would only have to be there about 5 of 12 weeks per semester plus exam time. Thats about the only info I have been able to get so far.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, that would make more sense! It's the same in Loughborough, I was close to accepting the course which they offer. They give a lot more information, timetables etc... I would imagine a lot of time is for independent study and the dissertation etc...

Check out their group on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groups/UCD-MSc-Sport-Exercise-Management-2721300?mostPopular=&gid=2721300

They all seem to have good jobs! Dr. John Shuttleworth seems very approachable and is very helpful!

Yeah they all seem very sound, no problem helping anytime I've called. I think the masters course only started in the last year or two so that may contribute to the lack of info available. Some of the students currently doing the course have jobs lined up with the Olympics, we'll be a year too late! Others are getting jobs with companies like Nike. Hopefully a good sign for us!

Who did you call? I've e-mailed sports.studies@ucd.ie so many times without reply! And I can't get through on the phone! I don't want to torture lecturers with queries about admissions and that! Really need to know how long it takes to get a UCD student number after acceptance! Residence applications open on the 8th of June and I don't get my results until the 9th!

The Olympics would have been unreal! I'm sure there are jobs out there like that.

Called Gillian Johnston a few times on 01-7163430, she's out sick now so theres another number given when you call, cant remember the name of the person but they've answered me whenever I've called.

Is that for residence on campus or what?

Oh right, she's off as past few months. I've been referred to Fiona McVeigh and Karen Hennesey before! Thought Gillian might have been back.

Yeah, for the Glenomena residence.

• Advertisement

Do you know what date enrolment is? I heard it was the last week of August.. Do we not have the orientation week on the 6th like everyone else then classes?

I don't know tbh, I would say we'll register online in August some time alright..after that I haven't a clue, sorry.

No worries dude.. Online would be deadly!

Just got accepted into the course today..looking forward to starting in sept! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mccantona

also got accepted into course, wondering how many hours per week and is anyone doing it over 2 years?

Doing it over 1 year myself. You have to do 6 modules per semester in the FT course, these are taught in week long blocks, 9-5 monday to friday. So you will have 6 weeks off per semester pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

mccantona wrote: »
    also got accepted into course, wondering how many hours per week and is anyone doing it over 2 years?

I am :) Do you have any idea what the timetable is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mccantona

got timetable last week, seems to be flexible enough, for part-time 20 credits (4 compulsory subjects)/ year instead of 40 credits, and 10 credits elective/year (2 subjects)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

slick89 wrote: »
    Just got accepted into the course today..looking forward to starting in sept! :)

Hiya just wondering how the course went for you? would you recommend it? I got accepted onto the course for September 2012 and am very excited :) Is it easy to find employment after graduation? do they help you with contacts for employment etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Bumping this again? How is everyone getting on?

jellybeans - How are you finding the first few weeks? I'm looking into this course myself for next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement