Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Guide] Portable Minecraft

Options
  • 07-04-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Im not an active member on this forum but I do play Minecraft on a server with some friends and I just cooked this up and thought it may be useful to someone here.

Basically the computers in college don't have java installed and are completely locked down and I wanted to be able to play Minecraft in college. Probably a terrible idea but anyway. :D

If your computer has java installed you can probably just run the normal exe regardless (or use the website) but this is useful for those without java, usually in colleges/workplaces/libraries etc. Obviously it won’t run on everything, you do need a certain minimum spec.

Firstly you are going to need a flash drive. Faster the better as minecraft makes a lot of use of the disk. The other option is to setup as below then package to an rar file or similar and extract to local hard disk to run. Should work either way.

Firstly open up your flash drive and create the following folders:

X:\Minecraft
    X:\Minecraft\Data
    X:\Minecraft\jar

X:\ = Whatever drive letter windows assigns to your flash drive.

Next you need to download Portable Java.
    Run the installer and follow the prompts. Set the install path to X:\Minecraft\Java.

When that’s done download the Minecraft.jar file under Linux/Other
    and place it in X:\Minecraft\jar.

Now you need to create a batch file to launch minecraft. Create a new text document and enter the following:

set APPDATA=\Minecraft\Data

Minecraft\Java\bin\Java.exe -jar Minecraft\jar\Minecraft.jar

This sets the working folder to the Data folder on your flashdrive instead of the local AppData folder and then launches the Minecraft.jar file using java.exe.

Save your text file as minecraft.bat and place it in the root of your flash drive. You may need to turn off the “Hide extensions of known file types” option in folder view options to do this properly.

Now launch minecraft using your batch file and you should be good to go. At this point if you login it should download the game files to the Data folder on the flash drive and if you attempt to play at a computer where you can’t access the server you can play offline just fine.

Hope it’s of use to someone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nice guide mate, I'll try this tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Our you can download Portable Minecraft here, just point it to your USb or External device you want to install it on and your ready to go :D

http://portableapps.com/node/25222

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

That dosent include Java. I specifically said this is for situations where Java is not installed to the local machine and you don't have install rights....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lithinous

Just so you know, the link to Portable Java has a fullstop at the end.

Great guide though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lithinous

Not sure how to edit posts but my previous post means that the link is invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If your using Linux, it's already portable.

Advertisement