Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a current account

Options
  • 06-04-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm going to open my first bank account tomorrow with PTSB

I have a few questions

1. Must I make an opening deposit/lodgment?
    2. Must I have money in my account to receive the VISA Debit Card? (not to use it, just to receive it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

You'll need to have some funds in your account to have a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Eddie86 wrote: »
    I'm going to open my first bank account tomorrow with PTSB

I have a few questions

1. Must I make an opening deposit/lodgment?
    2. Must I have money in my account to receive the VISA Debit Card? (not to use it, just to receive it)

Personally I wouldn't use PTSB - they have bank charges, I would suggest Ulster Bank they offer Visa Debit and are, in my opinion much better to deal with. They also offer no strings free banking, whereas PTSB have account maintenance and transaction fees.

1. No you don't need to make a lodgment there and then;
    2. The card is automatically ordered when the account is opened

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

OP join ulster bank. they have visa debit as well. The day I opened my account I just lodged five euros into it until I got the card and details in the post.

YOu will need photo ID, Proof of residence, proof of income and proof of PPS number when going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eddie86

dublin daz wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't use PTSB - they have bank charges, I would suggest Ulster Bank they offer Visa Debit and are, in my opinion much better to deal with. They also offer no strings free banking, whereas PTSB have account maintenance and transaction fees.

1. No you don't need to make a lodgment there and then;
    2. The card is automatically ordered when the account is opened

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help Dublin!

A friend of mine also recommended UB. I think I'll open with them tomorrow.

OP join ulster bank. they have visa debit as well. The day I opened my account I just lodged five euros into it until I got the card and details in the post.

YOu will need photo ID, Proof of residence, proof of income and proof of PPS number when going in.

I have everything there except proof of income. I'm a student and don't have an income at the moment. What will I do in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Eddie86 wrote: »
    I have everything there except proof of income. I'm a student and don't have an income at the moment. What will I do in this case?

Don't worry, Ulster Bank are very student friendly, they even offer 1st year students an interest-free overdraft upto €1,750 if needed!

They will just ask if you expect to receive a grant or if you work part time - if you don't its not a big deal, they understand.

PS - I dont work for UB or anything so I am not bias :p

Thanks gentlemen :cool:

Another (probably silly) question. Can I deposit money into my bank account using any ATM? Or does it have to be an ATM at UB branch?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think any ATM's accept deposits anymore.

You can lodge at the counter, or through the express lodgements box via any branch, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think any of the banks accept lodgements at ATM machines any more and even if some of them do, they certainly will not accept lodgements from customers of other banks.

BOI have done away with express lodgement and they now have lodgement machines in the branches but the ATMs are still cash withdrawal only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Some of the new aib ATMs have lodgement features.

As soon as banks start to get back on there feet they will install this type of ATM in the future.

Plus many UB are open Saturday's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement