Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Engineering

Options
  • 06-04-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I was wondering is Common Engineering a suitable course to take for somebody looking to get into computer design/graphics and along those lines? I've done a bit of searching but I can't really find exactly what the course entails so I would really appreciate an explanation of that aswell.

Also, would if be a good idea to do this course not having done Engineering for the Leaving Cert? And what other subjects would be a good idea to take?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering is Common Engineering a suitable course to take for somebody looking to get into computer design/graphics and along those lines? I've done a bit of searching but I can't really find exactly what the course entails so I would really appreciate an explanation of that aswell.

Also, would if be a good idea to do this course not having done Engineering for the Leaving Cert? And what other subjects would be a good idea to take?

Thanks.

When you say computer design/graphics do you mean the actual physical design of hardware elements of a computer and graphics as in video processing/rendering or do you mean it in a designing logos, computer art sort of way.

To give you an idea of the modules have a look at these pages for UCD and DIT's first year engineering.

UCD

DIT

Most important subject in my opinion would Maths, you should be aiming as high as you can in it. Apart from that physics, chemistry and applied maths are all useful subjects to take. Most people in my course at least never did engineering for the leaving cert. If you had to chose between taking engineering as a subject and something like physics or applied maths I'd pick one of the other two as they'd be more useful in an engineering course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

pljudge321 wrote: »
    When you say computer design/graphics do you mean the actual physical design of hardware elements of a computer and graphics as in video processing/rendering or do you mean it in a designing logos, computer art sort of way.

To give you an idea of the modules have a look at these pages for UCD and DIT's first year engineering.

UCD

DIT

Most important subject in my opinion would Maths, you should be aiming as high as you can in it. Apart from that physics, chemistry and applied maths are all useful subjects to take. Most people in my course at least never did engineering for the leaving cert. If you had to chose between taking engineering as a subject and something like physics or applied maths I'd pick one of the other two as they'd be more useful in an engineering course.
    I meant computer graphics and rendering, and software/hardware work is also something which I would be interested in doing.

Ok, glad to hear I don't need Engineering since I didn't do Metalwork for the Junior Cert and it would be fairly hard to pick it up for the Leaving. Unfortunately my school doesn't offer Physics or Applied Maths so Chemistry is really my only option there. Though I may be doing Design and Computer Communications, which from what I've heard would be of some benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Sneaking into the games industry?

I'd recommend tech drawing, art and maths. Common engineering wouldn't be much use. Depending on where you do it, it would have cad, 2d and basic 3d but thats about all.
    Multi media or graphic design are more suitable courses for you.
    Media is actually fairly technical as well as broad so you could find work in the hardware side too

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

mawk wrote: »
    Sneaking into the games industry?

I'd recommend tech drawing, art and maths. Common engineering wouldn't be much use. Depending on where you do it, it would have cad, 2d and basic 3d but thats about all.
    Multi media or graphic design are more suitable courses for you.
    Media is actually fairly technical as well as broad so you could find work in the hardware side too
    Ya, the Game industry is where I'd like to be :o, though the tech industry in general is something I would like.

I've looked around some more at courses and you're right, I'd be much better off doing Engineering-Digital Media. It has pretty much everything I'm interested in doing. I can't really see or thing of any, but would it make any difference in the choice between Biology and Chemistry for that course? I realise Physics would be pretty beneficial but I'd have to move schools for that.

Advertisement