Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for an english setter

Options
  • 06-04-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everbody,
    Does anybody know where i could get an English setter pup, my father used to breed them years ago, all pure breed IKC registered and as he got that bit older he stopped breeding them and the last one we had died, they had the sweetest temperament and i loved them! he used them for hunting but i would love to have them again purely as a pet and for good exercise. I have been looking around lots of websites with no avail and I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Hi everbody,
    Does anybody know where i could get an English setter pup, my father used to breed them years ago, all pure breed IKC registered and as he got that bit older he stopped breeding them and the last one we had died, they had the sweetest temperament and i loved them! he used them for hunting but i would love to have them again purely as a pet and for good exercise. I have been looking around lots of websites with no avail and I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction. Thank you

What part of Ireland are you in? Would you consider a rescue shelter? There are plenty across the country bursting with dogs! You'll be giving a dog a second chance too :) there must be some rescue setters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 applecrumble

hey Colibri, Im in Wexford/Waterford area, ive already rescued a jack russell from the pound last year and would always consider it but i would really love a pup to be able to train from scratch myself

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

hey Colibri, Im in Wexford/Waterford area, ive already rescued a jack russell from the pound last year and would always consider it but i would really love a pup to be able to train from scratch myself

You'd be surprised as to how easy a dog is to train. The old "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a myth :) I taught my girlfriend's dog of 7 years a few things only a few months ago :)

I'm sure there is one or two puppy setters around the rescue shelters, too. You might be surprised ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There's a llewellyn setter looking for a forever home in Drogheda animal rescue www.dar.ie. He's 3 years old and georgeous in his pictures. They also have a 1 yr old red and white setter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

English Setter Club of Ireland

Mr. P. Martin
    The Moyners, Clonmore, Templemore, Co. Tipperary.
    (0504-32126)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Anfive

Hi,
    Just wondering if you were successful in your hunt? I've a two year old English setter. He is a pure breed, mainly white but with a few lemon spots and has a beautiful temperament. I love him to bits but as I live in a housing estate I know I'm not giving him the best home possible. I haven't trained him but if you wanted to give him a trail, i'd happily take him back if he wasn't suitable.

Advertisement