Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving around dublin, places to go?

Options
  • 06-04-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

hey all,

I've only started driving recently but would love some good suggestions on places to go in Dublin in the car to pass some time and see some new things. Before driving I wouldn't have been overly bothered to go to places that weren't easily accessible by bus for example but now I haven't got an excuse :)

for example, Sundrive Park where its free and easy to get to is one of my favourites. A place to bring the kids for a run around to get them out also is great.

I'm not worried about the likes of Guinness brewry, major tourist attractions and things like that because i've lived here a while and have been there at some point most likely.

I plan on heading out to the Airport at somepoint soon. Hear thats great.... any others out there?

thanks in advance. PP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Killiney Hill is a great spot to drive to, I head out that way myself a lot.

The roads leading up to the park are narrow, with some sharp bends, and steep so make sure you have a qualified driver with you - there'll be tight spots and hill starts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you're going to the airport, you could take a tour from there to Malahide, along the coast road though Portmarock, left at Sutton Cross to Howth and around the hill back through Sutton Cross and maybe stop off on the Bull Island for a while on the way back to town. Plenty of nice spots to check out on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Thanks guys, yeah i'll have a look at google maps to see the general areas around and what all it has to offer.

that stretch of road 'Kilakee' looks like something from one of those Driving safety ads with the shock advertising at the end. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Hit towards Stepaside and up to Johnnie Fox's or Glencullen. Loads of great drives in the hills. And the Sally Gap drive is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Howth? you could certainly work on your hill starts out there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Viewpoint in the Dublin mountains is nice. Spot for teen couples at night but nice during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Shelly Banks down by Poolbeg where you can drive to the pier, have a walk on the pier watching the big ferries come and go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Skerries: You can visit "Skerries Mills" and there are some nice walks along the beach :)
    http://www.skerriesmills.org/

Airfield House in Dundrum!
    http://www.airfield.ie/

Portmarnock: Great beach there!

Bohernabreena Reservoir. Nice walk around the reservoir and you'll get good practice on narrow country roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

just had a look at that on street view... wow! gotta get up there some time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

some really great suggestions in here. nice for the sunny weather. Hill starts are one thing I really need to get used to first before attempting some of these routes though..

Keep em coming, i'm sure others in here appreciate the suggestions also.

:)

thanks again. PP

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi - I know exactly how you feel :). After I finally learned to drive, I got such a kick (and still do) out of exploring new places, and revisiting spots that I wouldn't be able to visit without a car, just for the sake of exploration. You really have a new sense of freedom.

One drive I've done a few times, is to start at Sandymount and drive out along the coast by Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Killiney. There's some beautiful coastline along there, and particularly Dalkey. However, do be careful around Dalkey, as the road is both steep and narrow at points!

Take a trip to the Phoenix Park, and let your kids run mad around the place. If you visit the Phoenix Park after dusk, and go down the side roads, you can go deer spotting..

Glendalough is a good destination for a Saturday/Sunday. You can drive there either by the motorway, or across the mountains for some good scenery. I wouldn't take the mountain road until you are reasonably experienced.

You should go to Howth, and stop for a good cliff walk, and then continue the drive around the headland. Make sure to take in Bull Island also.

Other nice parks you could visit include Bushy Park, Marley Park, the War Memorial Gardens (Inchicore).

Happy driving:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gurramok wrote: »
    Shelly Banks down by Poolbeg where you can drive to the pier, have a walk on the pier watching the big ferries come and go ;)
    yeah, that's a nice spot alright.
    Watch for sand on the road which can build up, if you hit it right wrong you can do a lot of sliding:D
    sherdydan wrote: »
    just had a look at that on street view... wow! gotta get up there some time!!

yep, it stunning for both slow cruising and for ripping around the place. It's also wider than most country roads which means easy passing by oncoming cars and no pulling in. Numerous lay bys to pull in at too, especially the waterfall just before Laragh
    Bear in mind in good weather and esp on Sunday there will be literally millions of cyclists up there, I was up earlier, very windy today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you're doing the sally gap, the best route is to take the N81 and go to laragh that way.
    Then go from laragh across the gap.

You get the best approach to the Wicklow gap and Glenmacnass Waterfall imho. Also worth taking a right at sally gap to see lough tay

Advertisement