Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire HD Airplane Mode

Options
  • 06-04-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

I see the HTC Desire HD has an airplane mode - I am going on a couple of very long flights in a few weeks and would not mind putting a few TV shows on my Phone to watch. I wonder has anyone ever being allowed use this mode on a flight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I see the HTC Desire HD has an airplane mode - I am going on a couple of very long flights in a few weeks and would not mind putting a few TV shows on my Phone to watch. I wonder has anyone ever being allowed use this mode on a flight?

It should be fine, but if I were you I'd buy an extra battery from eBay cos 2/3hrs of watching stuff will leave ya empty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

scudzilla wrote: »
    It should be fine, but if I were you I'd buy an extra battery from eBay cos 2/3hrs of watching stuff will leave ya empty

WIll they let you use it? Going to Oz and realised I have prob seen most of the movies they will be showing so a few shows would be good- how much are extra batteries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

WIll they let you use it? Going to Oz and realised I have prob seen most of the movies they will be showing so a few shows would be good- how much are extra batteries?

I've never had a problem. Generally the airlines don't let you use it during take off and landing but once they're cruising (seatbelts lights off) you can use them to watch videos or for music. I suppose it depends on the airline though. I use Air France a fair bit and I've never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Three batteries for 9euro here http://cgi.ebay.ie/3X-1500mAh-Battery-Desktop-Charger-HTC-Desire-HD-/370498820605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56437359fd

Not a bad price, and will kepp yer phone alive for the trip, may even buy them meself, always handy to have wit the short battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They have no problem once the device has an 'airplane' or 'offline' mode which guarantees that Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GSM/3G networking are all disabled, this effectively turns it into an mp3 player/games machine but to play movies on a long flight you will need extra batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

scudzilla wrote: »
    Three batteries for 9euro here http://cgi.ebay.ie/3X-1500mAh-Battery-Desktop-Charger-HTC-Desire-HD-/370498820605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56437359fd

Not a bad price, and will kepp yer phone alive for the trip, may even buy them meself, always handy to have wit the short battery life

If you don't count the risk that one of them will explode! How could anyone buy three batteries and a charger for a smartphone for 9 euros and expect anything but complete junk?

It's telling that the large photo of the battery is upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

coylemj wrote: »
    If you don't count the risk that one of them will explode! How could anyone buy three batteries and a charger for a smartphone for 9 euros and expect anything but complete junk?

Thanks wouldn't have on time flying sat week - any options closer to home at reasonable price?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

coylemj wrote: »

Maybe the sticker is upside down on the battery. The way round the photo is you can see the battery contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Some airlines have a usb charger port alongside the screen. others have a 220v source.

i flew klm 3 weeks ago in a A330 and was surprised to find a usb charger port.

Advertisement