Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Brady documentary and the 2010 remasters

Options
  • 06-04-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

These seem to be just louder (as in more compressed). I think I prefer the older CDs! For example, "Hard Station" peaks at -3dBFS. the new one is squished to 0dBFS.

And am I right in saying that this is the second time they've been remastered? I have an original "Back to the Centre" and a later CD, and the later one is a lot better. IIRC the first one is louder on the right.

Although I'm looking forward to the "Kind Stranger" remaster, apparently the extant CD was from vinyl???

Great songs anyway. Here's the TG4 documentary, pretty inspiring:
    http://beo.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=ceol&content=553588449281

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

No interest in classic Irish albums? The engineering on these is superb.

OK, I'll talk to myself :). The albums advertised on his site as remastered 2010 are the ones done in 2001 on Compass/ Rykodisc. Just listening to the first release of Back to the Centre on CD, it's a quarter tone sharp/ fast! Remaster sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Ye, I had the older mastered version of Hard station ,not having the newer remaster I can't say which sounds better but that said the original sounds absolutely brilliant. I dug it out recently for a trip to cork I was making and really enjoyed it and your right the engineering is first class - no doubt.
    -Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

Is this the American remix or the original Irish release

The CD is the "remix". The original mix was only ever on vinyl so I was never familiar with it. My dad didn't have that on vinyl :)

They've re issued that original mix on CD, but taken from a vinyl copy! The title track runs a bit longer which is cool, more of a jam feel to it. But I grew up with the CD so I'm not attached to it.

I think the trad stuff is incredibly well recorded by Brian Masterson, and not just Brady, all the other seminal albums he recorded too.

• Advertisement

Played around with varispeeding the original CD of "Back to the Centre". Seems for the remaster they decided to leave some of the songs a quarter tone up, including "The Island". I think I prefer normal speed, and the original CD has a more exciting sound, the new one sounds cold to me. Definitely lacking in top end anyway. Good to have a choice. :)

Advertisement