Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job Questions

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have to leave my part-time job at the end of the month, as I'm doing work experience as part of my college course for the majority of the summer.
    Is it a must that I write a letter of resignation or Is it acceptable to tell my employer by phone? It's just I rarely see my actual boss.
    Also, I'm owed two weeks holiday pay, will I get this automatically when I leave, or would i be better off taking my two weeks holidays in conjunction with my two week notice?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No harm to have a written record, so you could do it by phone but confirm by email or letter.

You're entitled to your holiday leave, but it's up to your company when you take it. They might allow you to use it during your notice period, or they can choose to just pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks Eoin,

Yea well I'd booked the 2 weeks of may off anyway in advance, so will just explain it to the boss, just didn't wanna come across cheeky or anything, just in case i might wanna go back after the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Did you book your leave knowing in advance that it would mean you won't have to work any notice at all? Nothing technically wrong with that, but that could be a hassle for your boss if you're not giving any time at all to finish up your duties. If you want to keep your options open with them, it might be worth being flexible and giving them the opportunity to pay you some or all of your outstanding annual leave, rather than using it all.

Do you definitely have 2 weeks leave owed to you? As mentioned in a similar thread; unless you've some left over from last year, then I doubt you'd have 2 weeks built up after 3 months.

Advertisement