Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire brigade cuts bicycle lock???

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

This happened about 7pm tonight outside XtraVision on the corner of Waterloo Road and Baggot Street. And sorry - no pics. I walked past a stationary fire engine, lights flashing, 4-5 fire crew, a squad car and a couple of Guards in the act of using a cutting device to cut a bicycle lock in order to free a bike from a bike stand so the owner could cycle off. I can't explain it, it looked like the guy had lost his key and they had all come out to release his bike. Is it possible that a fire crew would come out to do something like this? This is what I saw, and I didn't ask anyone what happened, so I don't want to be presumptuous but thats what it looked like to me. There was no sign of any other incident in the area that would account for their presence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

That is what is wrong with this country... and if it is true, that gentleman will not have to pay a cent.

Now that's service! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Considering that DFB will dispatch an ambulance for a toothache then I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

There are fire brigade charges, and for something like this the owner of the bike will more than likely receive a nice hefty bill for the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I have a few sliotars stuck up on the roof

If there is no bill, I may know just the people to get them for me :)

Anyway...I would hope this gentleman gets charged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

foinse wrote: »
    There are fire brigade charges, and for something like this the owner of the bike will more than likely receive a nice hefty bill for the service.

It would want to be a very valuable bike to justify the charges then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

Unless.....His bike was stolen, he saw it, rang AGS to get it back, who couldn't open the lock, so called DFB for help? Not a ridiculous hypothesis, is it?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Now that's service! :P
    With a SMILE :D
    Our firefighters are proud public servants who are happy to serve the good people of Ireland doing whatever is necessary to improve our quality of life - whether its saving a cat up a tree, rescuing a distressed cyclist or crawling through heat and flames to save a life.

Move along please there's nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    With a SMILE :D
    Our firefighters are proud public servants who are happy to serve the good people of Ireland doing whatever is necessary to improve our quality of life - whether its saving a cat up a tree, rescuing a distressed cyclist or crawling through heat and flames to save a life.

Move along please there's nothing to see here.

Rescuing a cat?
    Does that really happen?

Feck that if our moggy gets stuck up a tree he can stay there til it rains
    He'll come in fast enough then :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

In Dublin that would be regarded as a special services turnout. A Garda would have to be present before any bike lock would be cut. There would be no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    That is what is wrong with this country... and if it is true, that gentleman will not have to pay a cent.

Ahhhh so a person loosing the key of their bike lock is the cause of all our problems. If only everyone was as perfect as you we'd live in a utopian environment.

Back to the original question.

Yes, DFB will respond to someone stuck at the side of the road unable to free their bike. A member of the Gardai will normally be present to verify the persons identity as we wouldn't like to assist one of our criminal element in stealing a bike:)

Is it a waste of time? Not to the person who needs assistance.

We happily attend these calls as we are members of the much maligned public service whose job is to provide the public with assistance when required. The person will not pay for this call in Dublin as we do not charge for non commercial callouts.

Paulzx wrote: »
    Ahhhh so a person loosing the key of their bike lock is the cause of all our problems. If only everyone was as perfect as you we'd live in a utopian environment.

Back to the original question.

Yes, DFB will respond to someone stuck at the side of the road unable to free their bike. A member of the Gardai will normally be present to verify the persons identity as we wouldn't like to assist one of our criminal element in stealing a bike:)

Is it a waste of time? Not to the person who needs assistance.

We happily attend these calls as we are members of the much maligned public service whose job is to provide the public with assistance when required. The person will not pay for this call in Dublin as we do not charge for non commercial callouts.

Are you serious!!! The DFB are an elite rescue wing and you are telling me that they should help out in these kind of "Emergencies"? Is it still April fool's day or is the clock on your computer wrong.

The bike was locked which ment that it wasn't going anywhere. The gentleman should have weighted up the situation. Several times when I was in school I lost a key of some-sort but I would have never called the Fire Brigade! By doing so you could potentially risk someone else's life.

2 days ago a fire broke out in my village (Terenure) at 3pm... It took 2 ladder units, 3 regular engines and 4 hours to put out that fire. What if one of those engines were out helping a bloke get his bargain-shop bike away from the railings... A life could have been lost let alone 8 perfectly good houses.

Also the idea that this man could possibly not have to pay for the call is utterly sickening!

Paulzx... You my friend need to look at this from another angle because it seems at the moment you are failing to see the problem in this circumstance.

Celticfire wrote: »
    There would be no charge.

Except to us the tax payer! This reinforces the argument for me to leave this country after I get my college degree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

lads did anyone actually stop and think for a minute, meaby this chap did loose his key could easily have flagged down the appliance as it was passing...whats the problem..were here to help..if the story got out that the appliance just passed by and did nothing people would have something different to say..many the pair of handcuffs and numerous pieces of jewellery ive had to cut off people didnt see/hear them complaining...its part of the job..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Except to us the tax payer! This reinforces the argument for me to leave this country after I get my college degree...

Perhaps that chap is also a taxpayer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Celticfire wrote: »

Are you crazy? This is AH.

That man was a forner who tuk our jobs and sponges of the dole while sitting on his hole all day, then prob got the bike for free off the welfare and now gets DFB out to cut the lock cos he forget to bring his key with him and didn't want to go back home to get it

May contain racist sentiments. If you are offended, please dial 0818 719 852

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

this is common. We es people must respond to all calls no matter how stupid and yes, people do request dfb and gardai for stuff like this. Often they request both even though when asked they cant explain why they needed us.

I may bookmark this thread and just refer to it in all future "Where are the Gardai / what do I pay taxes for" thread :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Are you serious!!! The DFB are an elite rescue wing and you are telling me that they should help out in these kind of "Emergencies"? Is it still April fool's day or is the clock on your computer wrong.

The bike was locked which ment that it wasn't going anywhere. The gentleman should have weighted up the situation. Several times when I was in school I lost a key of some-sort but I would have never called the Fire Brigade! By doing so you could potentially risk someone else's life.

2 days ago a fire broke out in my village (Terenure) at 3pm... It took 2 ladder units, 3 regular engines and 4 hours to put out that fire. What if one of those engines were out helping a bloke get his bargain-shop bike away from the railings... A life could have been lost let alone 8 perfectly good houses.

Also the idea that this man could possibly not have to pay for the call is utterly sickening!

Paulzx... You my friend need to look at this from another angle because it seems at the moment you are failing to see the problem in this circumstance.

You missed the obvious sarcasm in that post. Paul was I would suggest, merely echoing the comments frequently thrown at him that the public aka "I pay your wages" tax payer can demand anything he wants from us.

lads did anyone actually stop and think for a minute, meaby this chap did loose his key could easily have flagged down the appliance as it was passing...whats the problem..were here to help..if the story got out that the appliance just passed by and did nothing people would have something different to say..many the pair of handcuffs and numerous pieces of jewellery ive had to cut off people didnt see/hear them complaining...its part of the job..

I can understand it he saw them pass and flagged them down but I highly doubt it because there was a garda car there. I don't see why others are as digusted as me... I'm sorry but the DFB should not be used for this kind of crap. Get you hands dirty... go and buy a pair of lock clippers and get your own bike back by yourself.

Hahah I wonder if the lads at the station sounds the alarm for these kind of calls... you can just see the lads rushing down the poll! :pac:

I don't care if he is or isn't... The fire brigade is there for one job and one only in my opinion ... to save lives. (not to help every damsel in distress!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Unless.....His bike was stolen, he saw it, rang AGS to get it back, who couldn't open the lock, so called DFB for help? Not a ridiculous hypothesis, is it?! :D

This is the first thing I thought too. If it was reported stolen and he saw it locked somewhere he'd call the Gardai who would assist him in reclaiming it, no?

• Advertisement

. The fire brigade is there for one job and one only in my opinion ... to save lives. (not to help every damsel in distress!)

You show a distinct lack of understanding (maybe even ignorance) of the role of a Firefighter with that statement. Then again,as you said it is only your opinion...

We regularly turnout in the middle of the night to put elderly people back into bed who are unable to get up from the floor after falling. By your logic they should be told to F%$k off and give us a ring back when they think they might die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A fire appliance at a call like this would be MAV status, so if another call comes in, they just go to it. There would be very little delay going to a call as a result.

As for costs, about the only thing I can think of is a drop of diesel, the crews in Dublin being fulltime would be getting paid anyway.

It's a public service, they had no more pressing calls on at the time, it was costing firg all. Where is the problem exactly?

By the way, to the poster who plans on leaving the country as soon as their degree is finished, your education is costing me as a taxpayer thousands of times more than this incident, so perhaps you'll forgive me suggesting your priorities are skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I don't care if he is or isn't... The fire brigade is there for one job and one only in my opinion ... to save lives. (not to help every damsel in distress!)

and property! should they have let those houses in terenure burn to the ground as soon as they realised there were no persons reported?

Pray tell me what other angle i need to look at it from? I'm looking at it from the angle as one of the Firefighters that has to on occasions carry out this duty.

See, the difference between me and you is that i have no problem obliging someone or helping them out of a situation. So basically the only people that should be helped by the Fire Brigade are the ones just about to get their arses roasted as their house burns around them. Anything else, don't bother calling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

The fire brigade and Gardai would normally, as another poster stated, abandon this type of call if Emergency came in.

From another perspective would you prefer that when your bike is chained up, there are five people down the road who are able to assist you, and are paid to assist the public, but they refused to attend because "it wasnt life threatening"?

I am 100% in favour of the Fire Service utilising their discretion with regard to these type of calls, but when all it takes is a little diesel (Seeing as there is a full time fire service) then why not?

Furthermore it has a positive effect on the image of the Fire Service and Gardai to the wider community. Older people, who often need the services but dont want to call them for fear of "wasting their time" will see that its ok to call for help... Children get to see that the Fire Service and Gardai are not ogres to be afraid of, or to throw bricks at, but instead are human beings from the community who are there to help...

In the States one of the Fire Departments I worked with always did the BBQs for local community events - ie the Organisation running a fundraiser would buy the meat, the Fire Department cooked it (after all the staff were there all day) and then the community group collected it. This created huge goodwill... The staff didnt mind as they were being paid and it didnt interfere with their operational abilities...

Furthermore both activities provide light relief for personnell who otherwise may be in high stress situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

cosmic wrote: »
    This is the first thing I thought too. If it was reported stolen and he saw it locked somewhere he'd call the Gardai who would assist him in reclaiming it, no?

This actually happened to me. I reported my bike stolen and found it locked to some railings a week later. I called the guards and they came out and verified the bike was mine. They called DFB without my asking them and they came out and cut the lock off (in about 5 seconds).

I was a bit surprised at this to be honest and I got a joking comment from a fireman about the bill being in the post (probably he thought I had just lost the key).

If the guards on the scene hadn't done this I would have had a bit of a problem. Not being a bike thief I don't have an easy way to get the lock off and since the actual thief (or likely asshole who sees nothing wrong in buying something for 5% retail value in the pub) was likely to turn up any time with the key and cycle off I couldn't leave. I was intending to phone around and see if I knew anyone who could come along with an angle grinder or large bolt cutters. The guards would probably have thought it was wise to stay on scene while that happened since I'd probably be nicked by some other guards during the process of cutting the lock off or they'd have to respond to a fight in the event the owner of the lock turned up while I was waiting.

So, in my case I'm not sure which course of action would have been better than calling out DFB. As was already pointed out by others, nobodies house would burn down because of this and apart from wear and tear on the tender and a couple of euros worth of diesel it didn't cost anything.

Anyway, DFB saved me a lot of hassle so whether they should have to do this sort of thing or not I'm grateful they did in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Important to note that this lock cutting service would not be provided throughout the country as most fire services would charge and the charge would be more than buying a new bike.

So bigger question - why does the level of service differ depending on where one lives in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Found this on another forum. Slight over kill. 4 Pumps and a TL for a cat.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12973064

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

As already pointed out, as a taxpayer I pay for your degree. So I could say you should stay here in the country and give us back the value of your degree by working in your chosen field in this country, as opposed to leaving and paying taxes to another state. But that is unreasonable.

The world is not black and white.
    I can understand it he saw them pass and flagged them down but I highly doubt it because there was a garda car there. I don't see why others are as digusted as me... I'm sorry but the DFB should not be used for this kind of crap. Get you hands dirty... go and buy a pair of lock clippers and get your own bike back by yourself.

Have you ever heard of helping people? It didn't cost the taxpayer anything, and at worst it could have broken up the day for the lads who responded.

If the Gardai, Fire Brigade and Ambulance Service were to respond only to calls where a life was at risk.. a shift would be very very long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

What a diamond of a thread:rolleyes: . . . . .Just goes to prove. . .

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't . . . . .

Advertisement