Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECA joins campaign to cancel Electrical REA

Options
  • 05-04-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Judging by this report from RTE
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0330/pay.html

The electrical contractors association are now joining the other employer groups to cancel the registered employment agreement. Does this mean the agreement is doomed ???. What can electricians do to stop this cancellation.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The electrical contractors association are now joining the other employer groups to cancel the registered employment agreement. Does this mean the agreement is doomed ???. What can electricians do to stop this cancellation.

Complain to the TEEU and keep on complaining to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

will this mean they will be looking for electricians to work for minimum wage were its suits:confused: ??????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If they have joined then the labour court will have no option but to cancel the REA as none of the employers groups party to it support it.

A black day indeed.Time to head to oz

EDIT:- it seems they have given the union an ultimatum,lower the rate or they pull out. A bit better than binning the whole thing.At least a wage rate would be guaranteed that way,albeit a lower one.

http://www.neci.ie/about2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bestirishspark

I do not understand why nothing has changed in the agreement in over 20 years, it seems to me that if you dont keep an agreement up to date and relevet it will eventually not reflect anyones requirments. Also what did the one week strike in 2009 achieve, I never got any pay increase because of it. It seems to me that all electricians lost a weeks pay, thats 800 euro, to satisify the pride of trade unionsts who lost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I do not understand why nothing has changed in the agreement in over 20 years, it seems to me that if you dont keep an agreement up to date and relevet it will eventually not reflect anyones requirments. Also what did the one week strike in 2009 achieve, I never got any pay increase because of it. It seems to me that all electricians lost a weeks pay, thats 800 euro, to satisify the pride of trade unionsts who lost nothing.

It wasn't updated cos in the boom the employers hadnt any problem with it.Since the boom thats changed.We need to keep this REA as an unregulated industry will lead to low wages regardless of what the employers groups say about premium electricians getting premium wages.However it really needs to be made relevant to our current times.Easy for me to accept as I don't have any financial commitments based on earnings that the current REA provides for,not so easy for those that do.

As for the strike,it probably prevented the wage drop that was requested by AECI at that time but as you say,we didnt get the rise the strike was all about.

Anyway this should probably be moved to a more suitable forum as other discussions of this kind have done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bestirishspark

"Easy for me to accept as I don't have any financial commitments based on earnings that the current REA provides for,not so easy for those who do."

Very good point, but I think the agreement needs to be updated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think the agreement needs to be updated
    +1

In my opinion the agreement needs to be renegotiated to reflect the commercial reality of a recession. I know several electrical contractors that have been forced to let all of their men go as they simply can not afford the rates. I know some that often paid more to an individual employee than they could afford to pay to themselves.

A good friend of mine (electrical contractor) commented that no matter how hard he works he can't afford to pay himself the TEEU rates of pay. This is why he will no longer employ anyone.

From what I can see the current REA is not working, and will never work as no electrical contractors support it.

Advertisement