Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressing course?

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone had any advise on where to go for a hairdressing course in Dublin city centre, full or part time. I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find anything decent on Google.

Thanks in advance =)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tchambers

Hi, I trained with the Robert Chambers Academy, its a 16month Diploma Course. There are many hairdressing courses in Ireland, but not all have good Teachers and model supply. Make sure you get an interview and find out how much time you'll actually be doing models, how many students to teachers ratio and what you'll get at the end of it. Price comparisons is not always better. Look for reputation, ask around salon owners in Ireland.
    If you would like any further advice, dont hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Would you recommend the Robert Chambers course, is it taught by people who just graduated from the hairdressing course or hairdressers who have been qualified for many years and with loads of experience? I too am interested in doing another hairdressing course. I did a basic one but would need more cutting and colouring training.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tchambers

Hi SuperTyper,
    Well naturally i would recommend it, as i have been very succesful and seen many talented hairdressers emerge from it successfully! Check out lunaticfringe.ie or google me to see what ive been up to.
    It is taught by professionals who have also been through the Academy, The Robert Chambers Hair Group only employ the top of the class and the 2 Head Teachers have over 5 years experience as Competent Teachers, with huge knowlege on Science and Technique, personality traits for learning and good disicipline. Many courses dont follow through on full time training and model supply as i said, so its good to get an interview and see for yourself. It is the first and longest running Training School in Ireland so check it out on robertchambers.ie.
    They can offer part time or refresher course that can be tailor made depending on your interview, but it sounds like you may need to refresh from the beginning if it has been awhile since you last did it. Hope that helps!

Tks a mill for the reply. I've emailed the academy for details of the finishing course (pref 6 months). I dont need any theory as I already hold certs for healthy and safety, hairdressing science, customer service and communications. I just want the hairdressing training eg cutting, colouring, blowdrying and upstyles etc. Waiting to hear back from them. I do work part time in a salon but want more training.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 turnraintocash

Hi girls, I am also interested in retraining as a hairdresser, but really do not have the time to do an apprenticeship.. I am 31 so I know its pretty late to start in the industry although I wouldnt let that hold me back. I am currently working full time in a permanent secure job (hard to find in these times) and I am clearing around 700 euro a week. I really want to do hairdressing as I just want to work for myself, and as it is a trade I will never be stuck, regardless of what happens or where I am in the world. However taking everything into account, do you think I could make that sort of money from hairdressing and also I have read in other threads on here that even though you pay for the 16 month diploma you are still not fully qualified to senior level.. and you still have to serve your time anyways!! Can anyone clear this up for me? Many thanks girls :)

• Advertisement

Well if you are interested in a course, I heard that Salon Services are running a Level 2 City and Guilds course in hairdressing in September. It costs 2,500 (plus kit which is 300). As far as I know, they will be running a Level 3 after this. I dont think any course you do makes you full qualified. Most salons will take you on as 2nd or 3rd year but you wont be classed as fully qualified after a course (and please feel free to correct me if anyone else knows to the differ).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Hi, does any one know if one is likely to get a grant while doing hairdressing course (city and guilds) in Enniskillen will be travelling from South every day.

Advertisement